Dow Jones Sustainability Index - Excellent rating for Allianz
21 October 2009
The Allianz Group has again ranked as the leading primary insurer in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
With an increase of three percent points to 79 percent compared to last year’s rating, Allianz improved its score, while the average sector performance fell from 50 to 49 percent.
According to Nicholas Scofield, General Manager Corporate Affairs at Allianz Australia, “Allianz has again been recognised for its excellent environmental performance, particularly the company's strategic approach to tackling the challenge of climate change. 2009 is the fourth year running that Allianz has been ranked as the most sustainable primary insurer.”
Launched in 1999, the Index was the first global index to track the financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. The assessment is carried out by the Swiss-based Sustainable Asset Management Group (SAM). Allianz has been included in the Index since 2000 and has achieved excellent ratings over the past six years.
Allianz Australia has made a strong contribution to the Allianz Group’s environmental initiatives, including:
- a strong performance in Allianz’s Environmental Management System, which underpins the Group’s commitment to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 20% by 2012;
- participating in the Group’s Climate Change Centre of Competence, that is tasked with developing and implementing environmentally-sustainable insurance products;
- the environmentally-sustainable redevelopment of Allianz’s Sydney head office, including the construction of a new 8 storey building that has a 4.5 Star Australian Building Greenhouse Rating; and
- the incorporation of environmental features into some of its insurance products, such as ‘Green for Old’ benefits in Allianz’s Home and Contents and Landlords policies, which provide additional cover for environmental upgrades at not extra cost.
- For example, $5,000 for rainwater tanks, solar, photo voltaic and grey water recycling systems in the event of a total loss, and upgrading of white goods with more energy efficient products in the event of loss or unrepairable damage.
Mr Scofield said, “Allianz's ranking reflects the successful implementation of key initiatives relating to climate change, the challenge of demographic change, and the company’s robust financial position and corporate governance arrangements“.
Ph. 02-9390 6596
0416 088 414
Best General Insurance Company 2006*
Best General Insurance Company 2007*
General Insurance Company of the Year 2009**
The Allianz Australia Group operates in Australia and New Zealand. It includes one of Australia’s largest general insurers, a leading private workers’ compensation insurer, and a life insurer.
Allianz Australia delivers a wide range of personal, commercial and corporate insurance products and services. It is proud to be of service to more than 2 million policy holders and over 50% of Australia’s top 200 BRW listed companies have some form of insurance cover with the group.
Allianz Australia offers a wide range of insurance products and services including car insurance
, home insurance
and Life insurance
Allianz Australia has approximately 3300 staff.
The Allianz Group’s commitment to social, environmental and economic sustainability has been acknowledged internationally by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, which recognised the Allianz Group as the most sustainable general insurance group in the world in 2007. In Australia, Allianz Australia is a member of the Greenhouse Challenge Plus program, which is a cooperative partnership between industry and the Australian Government that aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
*Australian Banking and Finance Insurance Awards
**Australia and New Zealand Insurance Industry Awards