Why choose Allianz Building Insurance?
Pay monthly at no extra cost3
Instant Certificate of Currency
What our Home Building Insurance covers
What’s not covered
- Professional fees of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors (up to $5,000)
- Complying with any statutory requirements (up to $5,000)
- If you fail to keep your home or contents in good condition, including wear and tear and lack of maintenance
- Pre-existing damage to your home or contents
- Flooding – unless you’ve added the optional flood cover to your policy
- You carry out alterations, additions, demolition, repairs or decorations to your building with a commercial value of more than $75,000, unless otherwise agreed in writing with us
- Damage deliberately caused by you, a family member or someone acting with your consent
- Holiday letting
- Anything not directly related to one of the insured events listed in the relevant
- You accidentally smash a hole in the wall when you move some furniture
- Your kids draw all over the walls
Save up to 10% when you buy both Building and Contents cover and combine them on the one policy2,4
Events our Home Building Insurance covers
- Fire or smoke (including bushfires5 and grassfires5)
- Theft or burglary
- Storm and cyclone5, rainwater or run off (not including flood which, subject to eligibility, may be available under the optional Flood cover5)
- Water or other liquid damage
- Impact damage
- Earthquake or tsunami
- Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
- Vandalism or malicious damage
- Riots or civil commotion
Home Insurance calculators
Home Building replacement calculator
Ready to get started?
Frequently asked questions
Our Home Building Insurance is designed to help cover the cost of loss or damage to the insured physical structures that make up your home building. This includes everything from the house itself, to your garage, fences, and paved driveways, as well as fixtures like hot water systems, air conditioners and more.
Our Building Insurance covers fire5, storm, lightning, theft, and more. Flood cover5 may be available as an optional cover. In addition, it provides legal liability cover, which can cover you if you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidently injured them or damaged their property during the period of insurance.
The amount you choose to insure your buildings for is called the 'building sum insured'.
The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors, and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.
There are a number of factors that determine how your Allianz Home Insurance premium is calculated, including:
- Your risk profile. We work this out using a number of factors, such as:
- Where you live
- The type of property you’re insuring
- The amount and type of cover you require
- Any other people also insured under the policy
- The relevant claims history of the people being insured
- The likelihood of a claim being made on your policy
- Any discounts that may apply
- Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST
- Emergency Services Levies if they apply to the State or Territory where your home is located
- Any other charges we tell you of
- The excess you choose6
To find out the cost of insuring your home building through us, get a quick Home Insurance quote in minutes.
Your home building can be covered for flood-related damage if you take out optional Flood cover, subject to eligibility. Your building, under Flood cover, will be covered for:
Loss or damage caused by:
- Flood, flood water, combined with run-off and rainwater
As well as loss or damage caused by or arising from the following, if it’s caused directly by and occurs within 72 hours of a flood:
- Soil movement, including erosion
To find out if you’re eligible for Flood cover, or call us on 13 1000.
If you currently hold a policy and would like to find out whether your Building insurance policy currently has Flood cover, you can log onto to check your policy documentation or call us on 13 1000.
Note: 72-hour exclusion period may apply. We don’t provide cover (where the type of cover you have under the policy provides it) for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy. For the standard terms, conditions and exclusions about our Home Insurance, refer to the .
You should tell us as soon as reasonably possible if during the period of insurance your building is in the course of construction or there are any alterations, additions, demolition, repairs to, or decorations of the building costing more than $75,000. If you don’t, we may refuse or reduce a claim under the policy to the extent we’re prejudiced by the delay or the non-disclosure.
You can also contact us if you want to vary your policy during the period of insurance for any other reason, for example to increase your sums insured or to take our additional cover options that may be available.
When we receive this information, we may:
- Propose changes to the terms and conditions of your policy
- Propose to charge you a higher premium
- Cancel your policy if there’s a change and we can’t reach an agreement with you on altered terms and conditions or premium, or we’re no longer prepared to insure you because there has been a material change to the risk
- Decide not to offer to renew your policy
Note: It’s also important that you increase your home building sum insured to take into account any extensions or renovations to make sure you’re adequately covered in the event of a home insurance claim.
Home Insurance covers you against financial losses associated with the damage or loss of the property you own. Home insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but if you hold a mortgage over your property, most banks and mortgage lenders require you to take out Home Buildings insurance as security to safeguard themselves against financial risk due to unexpected damage or loss to your property.
Lenders may require you to list them as an interested party when purchasing insurance and may also request proof of insurance (Certificate of Currency) before the loan is finalised or for each year your mortgage is held with them.
To request a Certificate of Currency for your existing Allianz Home Insurance policy, call us on 13 1000 or log onto .
If you take out Building Insurance here’s how your home buildings cover can work if the unexpected occurs:
- Your house burns down and you lose all your building structures. With adequate sums insured under Buildings cover, you could rebuild your home back to a similar standard it used to be.
- A fire damages your kitchen. You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as benchtops and cabinets, with Buildings cover.
- A thief smashes your window, breaks the locks, but gets away without stealing any of your belongings. You can fix the window and replace your locks through your Buildings insurance.
We're here to help
Give us a call, or send us a message
Follow us on
- Up to 30% No Claim Bonus – Home
When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your home insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.
After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.
The No Claim Bonus is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.
- Minimum premiums may apply
Any discounts may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you’re eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you won't see the full benefit of both these discounts.
Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges. No discounts are applied to the optional cover: Domestic Workers Compensation (if available and selected).
- Pay by instalments
Premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding, and financial institution transaction fees may apply.
Available for new policies effective from 13 November 2022 and renewals from 25 December 2022.
- Combined Discounts
A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional cover.
- 72-hour exclusion period may apply
We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant
- Option to change your excess
Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers Compensation, Flood or Portable contents. Minimum premiums apply.
Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.
Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.