Workers' Compensation VIC

Join us and have confidence that your future is in safe hands
If a worker is injured at work or develops an illness as a result of their work, they may be entitled to financial compensation. Workers' compensation insurance may include payments to cover loss of earnings, reimbursement for reasonable medical and rehabilitation expenses and lump sum payments in case of permanent impairment1. WorkCover insurance covers your business for financial costs you may be liable for when a worker claims compensation.
Have you been injured at work? We focus on the wellbeing and recovery of workers, helping you get back to work faster where possible. Find out what’s involved in the workers' compensation process and what you’ll need to do to make a claim.

Employers must have WorkCover insurance if they:

  • employ workers in Victoria; and 
  • expect to pay more than $7,500 in wages and benefits in the next financial year; or 
  • employ trainees or apprentices. 

If you're not registered for WorkCover insurance when you should be, you may face severe penalties. You may also be required to reimburse WorkSafe Victoria for any compensation paid to your injured workers.

Employers have 60 days from the date their new business meets eligibility requirements to register for WorkCover insurance.

We aim to make managing workers' compensation easy for policy holders and their representatives.
If a worker has been injured in your workplace, you can make a workers' compensation claim online 24/7. 
To verify your current workers' compensation insurance policy, obtain a Certificate of Currency from the WorkSafe website.
It's easy to make Allianz your WorkSafe agent under an existing policy. We’ll notify your previous agent and WorkSafe, and obtain your premium and claims history.
Make changes to your policy, view claims or correspondence information, and provide confirmation of cessation of business via WorkSafe’s employer portal.
WorkSafe Victoria oversees Victoria's compensation system by promoting and enforcing health and safety in Victorian workplaces. Find out what your main responsibilities are as an employer.
All employers are required to maintain a register of injuries that is readily accessible to all workers. The register is a current record of any injuries suffered by workers, whether or not they result in a claim.
If your worker isn’t able to work, you’ll need to appoint a Return to Work (RTW) Coordinator. It’s important to appoint someone who is empowered to make return to work decisions and help you meet your obligations. 
Notify WorkSafe Victoria as soon as practicable of any notifiable incidents. If the incident causes serious injury or death, report it to WorkSafe immediately on 13 23 60. You also need to send a completed incident notification form to WorkSafe within 48 hours, and keep a copy of the completed form in your records for five years.
You can help plan your worker’s return to work by maintaining regular contact with your worker and their case manager. This includes providing suitable employment for 52 weeks, providing a safe work environment, and collaborating with the treating doctor or rehabilitation provider to develop a return to work plan.
Our resources page includes information about premium changes, key dates, and changes to workers' compensation laws with helpful forms, tools and links.
Use this online tool created by WorkSafe Victoria to take steps towards creating a more positive, mentally healthy workplace.
A dedicated space to support employers and workers in creating mentally healthy work environments. Access our research and guides, which include practical tips, insights and checklists.

To help make your workplace safer, our training courses help improve understanding of workplace health and safety responsibilities and injury management, so that you and your staff have the skills and knowledge to manage injuries and claims effectively.

Our training platform allows you to view and book upcoming training courses and access our webinar library.

Changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (VIC) mean that labour hire workers are now considered employees of their host employer.
If you are an employer in Victoria with 60 workers or less, you can apply for WorkSafe Victoria’s free Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Essentials program.
Our state-based specialists understand the complexities of workers' compensation
We provide tailored support to help workers at every stage of their recovery journey
Our dedicated team of workers' compensation specialists aims to handle your claim efficiently
We provide training, along with psychological support and innovative risk management solutions to help create safer workplaces
WorkSafe agents are appointed by WorkSafe to manage employers' WorkCover insurance and injured workers' compensation claims. They provide expert advice and support managing premiums or working through claims on WorkSafe’s behalf. They also provide support to help create safe workplaces and help your injured workers return to work.
As an employer you are required to choose a WorkSafe agent. This is done when applying or renewing WorkCover insurance.

Yes, you’re permitted to change your WorkSafe agent once every 12 months. Once you change your agent, you must remain with your new WorkSafe agent for at least 12 months. Also, when changing agents, you can't owe any outstanding premium payments (annual or instalment) to your current agent.

If you're a new employer and have recently registered for WorkCover insurance, you must be with your original agent for at least 12 months and then wait until the end of the current financial year before changing agents.

You need to send a signed transfer request in writing directly to your new agent. To transfer your policy to us, complete our online transfer form.

Your effective transfer date is the first day of the next month. Your new agent must make sure transfer requests are provided to your current agent at least five working days before the first of the month.

  1. Entitlements vary based on the circumstances of individual claims, and financial limits apply over the life of the claim.
Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.