Why choose Allianz Home and Contents Insurance?
Up to 30% No Claim Bonus2,4
Instant Certificate of Currency
What our Home and Contents Insurance covers
What’s not covered
- Professional fees of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors (up to $5,000)
- Complying with any statutory requirements (up to $5,000)
- If you fail to keep your home or contents in good condition, including wear and tear and lack of maintenance
- Pre-existing damage to your home or contents
- Flooding – unless you’ve added the optional Flood cover to your policy
- You carry out alterations, additions, demolition, repairs or decorations to your building with a commercial value of more than $75,000, unless otherwise agreed in writing with us
- Damage deliberately caused by you, a family member or someone acting with your consent
- Holiday letting
- Anything not directly related to one of the insured events listed in the relevant
Events our Home and Contents Insurance covers
- Fire or smoke (including bushfires9 and grassfires9)
- Theft or burglary
- Storm and cyclone9, rainwater or run off (not including flood which, subject to eligibility, may be available under the optional Flood cover9)
- Water or other liquid damage
- Impact damage
- Earthquake or tsunami
- Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
- Vandalism or malicious damage
- Riots or civil commotion
Home and Contents Insurance quotes
Covers the physical structures that make up your home building. From the house itself, to your garage, fences, paved driveways, and even fixtures like hot water systems, air conditioners and more.
The amount you choose to insure your building for is called the building sum insured.
Covers the belongings you have at the insured address. From your furniture, carpet, electrical appliances and BBQ, to even clothes, shoes, handbags and more.
The amount you choose to insure your contents for is called the contents sum insured.
Home Insurance calculators
When you take out Home Insurance, it’s important the amount you’re insured for accurately reflects the cost to rebuild your property and replace your contents.
If you’re insured for less than the replacement value of your home and contents, you might have to pay the difference out of your own pocket. Use our calculators as a guide to find out how much you should be insured for.
Building replacement calculator
Contents replacement calculator
Ready to get started?
Frequently asked questions
Home and contents insurance covers the cost of repair or replacement to your building and contents when loss or damage is caused by events such as break-ins, fires (including bushfire9 and grassfire9), storms, impact damage such as a fallen tree, as well as accidental breakage of glass and more.
Plus, it provides legal liability cover which can cover you if you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidently injured them or damaged their property during the period of insurance.
Flood cover9 may be available as an optional cover.
The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors, and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.
There are a number of factors that determine how your Allianz Home and Contents Insurance premium is calculated, including:
- Your risk profile. We work this out using a number of factors, such as:
- Where you live
- The type of property you’re insuring
- The amount and type of cover you require
- Any other people also insured under the policy
- The relevant claims history of the people being insured
- The likelihood of a claim being made on your policy
- Any discounts that may apply
- Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST
- Emergency Services Levies if they apply to the State or Territory where your home is located
- Any other charges we tell you of
- The excess you choose10
Your building and contents can be covered for flood-related damage if you take out optional Flood cover, subject to eligibility. Your building and contents, under Flood cover, will be covered for:
Loss or damage caused by:
- Flood water, combined with run-off and rainwater
As well as loss or damage caused by or arising from the following, if it’s caused directly by and occurs within 72 hours of a flood:
- Soil movement, including erosion
To find out if you’re eligible for Flood cover, get an online quote or call us on 13 1000.
If you currently hold a policy and would like to find out whether your Building and Contents insurance policy currently has Flood cover, you can log onto to check your policy documentation or call us on 13 1000.
Note: 72-hour exclusion period may apply. We don’t provide cover (where the type of cover you have under the policy provides it) for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy. For the standard terms, conditions and exclusions about our Home Insurance, refer to the .
With Allianz there are a number of ways that you may save on your Home and/or Contents insurance premium:
- Combine your Building and Contents cover on the one Home Insurance policy and save up to 10%.2,3 (Compared to purchasing each cover as a standalone cover)
- Increase your basic excess: our policies come with flexible excess levels, giving you the option to increase your basic excess, within a given range, which could reduce your premium10
You should tell us as soon as reasonably possible if during the period of insurance your building is in the course of construction or there are any alterations, additions, demolition, repairs to, or decorations of the building costing more than $75,000. If you don’t, we may refuse or reduce a claim under the policy to the extent we are prejudiced by the delay or the non-disclosure.
When we receive this information, we may:
- Propose changes to the terms and conditions of your policy
- Propose to charge you a higher premium
- Cancel your policy (if there’s a change and we can’t reach an agreement with you on altered terms and conditions or premium; or we’re no longer prepared to insure you because there has been a material change to the risk)
- Decide not to offer to renew your policy
Note: It’s also important that you increase your sum insured to take into account any extensions or renovations to make sure you’re adequately covered in the event of a Home Insurance claim.
Home Insurance covers you against financial losses associated with the damage or loss of the property you own. Home Insurance isn't a legal requirement; however, if you have a mortgage on your property, most banks and mortgage lenders require you to purchase Home Buildings insurance as security to safeguard themselves against financial risk caused by unexpected damage or loss to your property.
Lenders may require you to list them as an interested party when buying insurance and may also request proof of insurance (Certificate of Currency) before the loan is finalised or for each year your mortgage is held with them.
To request a Certificate of Currency for your existing Allianz Home Insurance policy, call us on 13 1000 or log onto .
This cover option allows you to insure items which you wear or carry with you outside your home (such as a handbag, wallet, sunglasses, jewellery or a musical instrument). You can choose from two types of Portable Contents cover – unlisted or listed – or you can choose both.
Unlisted Portable Contents
This option allows you to select a per item limit and per claim limit, e.g. up to $2,000 per item and $7,500 per claim. This means you don't have to specifically list your portable item. However, this option doesn't cover items such as laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology which need to be covered under Listed Portable Contents.
Listed Portable Contents
This option allows you to cover specifically listed portable items for their full replacement value (less any contributable excess). Laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology can be listed under your policy and covered as listed portable items.
This option covers you in the event of accidental unexpected mishaps that are caused unintentionally, for example if you’re moving furniture around the house and damage your wall (if you have Buildings cover) or if you have spilt a drink which causes damage to your carpet (if you have Contents cover).
Here are some examples of the sort of mishaps you’ll be covered for if you take out optional Accidental Damage cover:
If you have Building cover and:
- You accidentally smash a hole in the wall when you move some furniture
- Your kids draw all over your walls
If you have Contents cover and:
- You spill red wine on the new white carpet or lounge
We’ll extend cover for your contents anywhere in Australia for up to 90 continuous days in one period of insurance.
If you take both Building and Contents insurance, here’s how these covers can work together if you suffer an insured loss:
- Your house burns down. You could lose your building, and everything in it. With adequate sums insured under Building and Contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
- A fire damages your kitchen. You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as benchtops, with Home Building insurance. Then you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your Contents insurance policy.
- A thief smashes your window, breaks the locks and steals your belongings. You can fix the window and locks through your Building insurance and replace the items that were stolen under your Contents insurance.
Plus, you’ll only have to pay one excess if your building and contents are damaged by the same insured event and you’ve combined them on one policy.
We're here to help
Give us a call, or send us a message
Follow us on
- Pay by instalments
Premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding, and financial institution transaction fees may apply.
Available for new policies effective from 13 November 2022 and renewals from 25 December 2022.
- Minimum premiums may apply
Any discounts may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you’re eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced.
For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you won't see the full benefit of both these discounts.
Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges. No discounts are applied to the optional cover: Domestic Workers Compensation (if available and selected).
- Combined Discounts
A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional cover.
- Up to 30% No Claim Bonus
When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your Home Insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.
After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.
The No Claim Bonus is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.
- Alternative accommodation
Covers weekly equivalent rent. Up to 10% of Building or Contents sum insured, up to a maximum of 12 months and up to $500 for your pets.
This is an extra benefit we pay in addition to your building sum insured. We don’t pay additional alternative accommodation costs under the contents section if we’ve paid it under the buildings section. No excess applies to this benefit.
- Rebuilding costs
These are extra benefits we pay in addition to your building sum insured, where we have approved these costs before they’re incurred and they relate directly to the rebuilding of the insured building. No excess applies to these benefits.
- Making your home building environmentally friendly
These are extra benefits we pay in addition to your building sum insured. No excess applies to these benefits.
- Portable Contents
Some portable contents must be specified on your policy schedule as Listed Portable Contents to be covered.
- 72-hour exclusion period may apply
We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant .
- Option to change your excess
Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers compensation, Flood or Portable contents. Minimum premiums apply.
Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.
Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.