Home and Contents Insurance

Be ready to pay monthly at no extra cost1 when you buy a new policy
Save up to 10% when you buy both Building and Contents cover and combine them on the one Home Insurance policy.2,3
With our Home Insurance, you could get up to 30% No Claim Bonus2,4 depending on your claims history.
Your proof of insurance – Certificate of Currency (COC) – will be emailed instantly after you purchase your policy.
You can make a claim online or call 13 10 13 for claims service 24 hours, 7 days a week.
From Insurer of the Year to Excellence in Claims, we’re proud to have won numerous industry awards over the years.
Australian Insurance Industry Awards Finalist 2022 and Insurance Business Awards Winner 2022
Insurance Business Awards Winner 2021 and The Mansfield Awards 2021
Has your property or its contents been damaged? Making a claim with us is quick and simple. Find out what’s involved and what you’ll need to make a claim.
We break down what is and isn’t covered under our Home Building and Contents Insurance, as well as some optional covers you can buy.

  • Legal liability cover
  • Up to $20m legal liability cover. Provides cover if you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidently injured them or damaged their property during the period of insurance.
  • Alternative accommodation
  • If your home building and/or contents are damaged by an insured event during the period of insurance to such an extent, where you can’t live in it, we’ll pay the temporary rental costs for accommodation for you and your pets for the time necessary, up to 12 months and the policy limits.5

  • Rebuilding costs
  • If you have Buildings cover and we agree to rebuild your home due to a total loss or damage, we'll help pay the reasonable6 costs of:
  • Professional fees of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors (up to $5,000)
  • If you have Buildings cover and need to rebuild your home due to a loss or damage, we'll help pay the costs6 of:
  • Complying with any statutory requirements (up to $5,000)
  • Moving House cover

    If you have Contents cover and you’re moving house, we'll cover your contents at both your new and old address for up to 14 days after you first start to move. However, we won’t cover your contents while they’re in transit.
  • Debris removal

    If you have Buildings cover, this can cover the reasonable costs to remove damaged or destroyed parts of your building or contents (if you have Contents cover) by an insured event. Covers up to 10% of the building or contents sum insured amount.

  • Replacement of locks or cylinders

    If your keys are stolen, or there are reasonable grounds to believe the keys have been copied, we’ll pay up to $1,000 to replace your locks or cylinders for any external doors or windows.
  • Emergency contents storage

    If you have Contents cover, we'll pay to move and store your contents if you can't stay at your home as a result of damage from an insured event. We’ll pay up to the maximum balance of your contents sum insured after payment of any claim for your damaged contents, for a maximum of 12 months.
  • Making your home building environmentally friendly

    If you have Buildings cover and your building is totally destroyed and needs to be rebuilt, we’ll help with the costs7 to install environmental systems such as rainwater tanks and solar power systems (up to $5,000 after deduction of any government or council rebates).

  • Your unoccupied home
  • If you leave your home unoccupied for any period longer than 60 consecutive days, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
  • Loss, damage, injury or legal liability due to the following:
  • If you fail to keep your home or contents in good condition, including wear and tear and lack of maintenance
  • Pre-existing damage to your home or contents
  • Flooding – unless you’ve added the optional Flood cover to your policy
  • You carry out alterations, additions, demolition, repairs or decorations to your building with a commercial value of more than $75,000, unless otherwise agreed in writing with us
  • Damage deliberately caused by you, a family member or someone acting with your consent
  • Holiday letting
  • Anything not directly related to one of the insured events listed in the relevant PDS

  • Portable Contents
  • Covers loss or damage to your portable items (such as wallets, glasses, jewellery, cameras and mobile phones8) caused by theft or an accident Australia-wide or anywhere in the world when you’re temporarily outside Australia for up to 120 days.

    There are two cover types to choose from – listed and unlisted contents.

  • Flood
  • Covers you for loss or damage to your home and contents caused by flood and certain flood-related events. Optional Flood cover may not be available in some areas.

    Note: 72-hour exclusion period may apply. We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.

  • Accidental Damage
  • Covers you for accidental damage caused by sudden, unforeseen and unintended events, not just the specified insured events. This option automatically includes Motor Burnout.
  • Motor Burnout
  • Covers you if an electrical current damages your domestic household electrical motors, such as your fridge, freezer or washing machine, up to 10 years old.
  • Domestic Workers Compensation
  • Covers people performing domestic work related to the running of the insured address who are deemed to be employed by you under the relevant Workers Compensation legislation in Tasmania, Western Australia or the Australian Capital Territory. This can include gardening, cleaning and childcare.

This is a summary only of some of the features and benefits available on Allianz Home Insurance, as well as some of the exclusions. Before deciding on a policy, carefully consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Supplementary PDS (where applicable) which set out the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.
From fire and smoke to earthquakes and tsunamis, our Home and Contents Insurance covers the cost of rebuilding or replacing your home and/or contents for a range of insured events.
  • Fire or smoke (including bushfires9 and grassfires9)
  • Theft or burglary
  • Storm and cyclone9, rainwater or run off (not including flood which, subject to eligibility, may be available under the optional Flood cover9)
  • Lightning
  • Water or other liquid damage
  • Impact damage
  • Earthquake or tsunami
  • Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
  • Vandalism or malicious damage
  • Explosion
  • Riots or civil commotion

For a full list of events covered by Allianz Home Insurance, see the relevant PDS.

Find out the difference between home and contents insurance and get your quote.

Covers the physical structures that make up your home building. From the house itself, to your garage, fences, paved driveways, and even fixtures like hot water systems, air conditioners and more.

The amount you choose to insure your building for is called the building sum insured.

Covers the belongings you have at the insured address. From your furniture, carpet, electrical appliances and BBQ, to even clothes, shoes, handbags and more.

The amount you choose to insure your contents for is called the contents sum insured.

When you take out Home Insurance, it’s important the amount you’re insured for accurately reflects the cost to rebuild your property and replace your contents.

If you’re insured for less than the replacement value of your home and contents, you might have to pay the difference out of your own pocket. Use our calculators as a guide to find out how much you should be insured for.

Home and contents insurance covers the cost of repair or replacement to your building and contents when loss or damage is caused by events such as break-ins, fires (including bushfire9 and grassfire9), storms, impact damage such as a fallen tree, as well as accidental breakage of glass and more.

Plus, it provides legal liability cover which can cover you if you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidently injured them or damaged their property during the period of insurance.

Flood cover9 may be available as an optional cover. 

The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors, and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.

There are a number of factors that determine how your Allianz Home and Contents Insurance premium is calculated, including:

  • Your risk profile. We work this out using a number of factors, such as:
    • Where you live
    • The type of property you’re insuring
    • The amount and type of cover you require
    • Any other people also insured under the policy
    • The relevant claims history of the people being insured
    • The likelihood of a claim being made on your policy
  • Any discounts that may apply
  • Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST
  • Emergency Services Levies if they apply to the State or Territory where your home is located
  • Any other charges we tell you of
  • The excess you choose10

To find out the cost of insuring your home building and/or contents through Allianz, get a quick Home and Contents insurance quote in minutes.

Your building and contents can be covered for flood-related damage if you take out optional Flood cover, subject to eligibility. Your building and contents, under Flood cover, will be covered for:

Loss or damage caused by:

  • Flood
  • Flood water, combined with run-off and rainwater

As well as loss or damage caused by or arising from the following, if it’s caused directly by and occurs within 72 hours of a flood:

  • Soil movement, including erosion
  • Landslide
  • Mudslide
  • Subsidence

To find out if you’re eligible for Flood cover, get an online quote or call us on 13 1000.

If you currently hold a policy and would like to find out whether your Building and Contents insurance policy currently has Flood cover, you can log onto My Allianz to check your policy documentation or call us on 13 1000.

Note: 72-hour exclusion period may apply. We don’t provide cover (where the type of cover you have under the policy provides it) for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy. For the standard terms, conditions and exclusions about our Home Insurance, refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

With Allianz there are a number of ways that you may save on your Home and/or Contents insurance premium:

  • Combine your Building and Contents cover on the one Home Insurance policy and save up to 10%.2,3 (Compared to purchasing each cover as a standalone cover)
  • Increase your basic excess: our policies come with flexible excess levels, giving you the option to increase your basic excess, within a given range, which could reduce your premium10

You should tell us as soon as reasonably possible if during the period of insurance your building is in the course of construction or there are any alterations, additions, demolition, repairs to, or decorations of the building costing more than $75,000. If you don’t, we may refuse or reduce a claim under the policy to the extent we are prejudiced by the delay or the non-disclosure.

When we receive this information, we may:

  • Propose changes to the terms and conditions of your policy
  • Propose to charge you a higher premium
  • Cancel your policy (if there’s a change and we can’t reach an agreement with you on altered terms and conditions or premium; or we’re no longer prepared to insure you because there has been a material change to the risk)
  • Decide not to offer to renew your policy

Note: It’s also important that you increase your sum insured to take into account any extensions or renovations to make sure you’re adequately covered in the event of a Home Insurance claim.

Home Insurance covers you against financial losses associated with the damage or loss of the property you own. Home Insurance isn't a legal requirement; however, if you have a mortgage on your property, most banks and mortgage lenders require you to purchase Home Buildings insurance as security to safeguard themselves against financial risk caused by unexpected damage or loss to your property.

Lenders may require you to list them as an interested party when buying insurance and may also request proof of insurance (Certificate of Currency) before the loan is finalised or for each year your mortgage is held with them.

To request a Certificate of Currency for your existing Allianz Home Insurance policy, call us on 13 1000 or log onto My Allianz.

This cover option allows you to insure items which you wear or carry with you outside your home (such as a handbag, wallet, sunglasses, jewellery or a musical instrument). You can choose from two types of Portable Contents cover – unlisted or listed – or you can choose both.

Unlisted Portable Contents

This option allows you to select a per item limit and per claim limit, e.g. up to $2,000 per item and $7,500 per claim. This means you don't have to specifically list your portable item. However, this option doesn't cover items such as laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology which need to be covered under Listed Portable Contents.

Listed Portable Contents

This option allows you to cover specifically listed portable items for their full replacement value (less any contributable excess). Laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology can be listed under your policy and covered as listed portable items.

This option covers you in the event of accidental unexpected mishaps that are caused unintentionally, for example if you’re moving furniture around the house and damage your wall (if you have Buildings cover) or if you have spilt a drink which causes damage to your carpet (if you have Contents cover).

Here are some examples of the sort of mishaps you’ll be covered for if you take out optional Accidental Damage cover:

If you have Building cover and:

  • You accidentally smash a hole in the wall when you move some furniture
  • Your kids draw all over your walls

If you have Contents cover and:

  • You spill red wine on the new white carpet or lounge

We’ll extend cover for your contents anywhere in Australia for up to 90 continuous days in one period of insurance.

The Accidental Damage cover option automatically includes Motor Burnout cover. Read the PDS for the details of what is covered.

If you take both Building and Contents insurance, here’s how these covers can work together if you suffer an insured loss:

  • Your house burns down. You could lose your building, and everything in it. With adequate sums insured under Building and Contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
  • A fire damages your kitchen. You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as benchtops, with Home Building insurance. Then you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your Contents insurance policy.
  • A thief smashes your window, breaks the locks and steals your belongings. You can fix the window and locks through your Building insurance and replace the items that were stolen under your Contents insurance.

Plus, you’ll only have to pay one excess if your building and contents are damaged by the same insured event and you’ve combined them on one policy.

Curtains and carpets are covered by Contents Insurance. Contents items aren't permanently attached to the building. Curtains and carpets are classified as contents as they can be removed. If you have Buildings Insurance you need to also take out Contents cover to ensure these items are covered.
Our Home Insurance covers cyclones and bushfires, except during the 72-hour exclusion period that may apply for any loss of or damage to your property caused by these events, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.

To see some of the events covered and not covered by our Home Insurance, refer to our Key Fact Sheets (KFS).
  1. Pay by instalments

    Premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding, and financial institution transaction fees may apply.

    Available for new policies effective from 13 November 2022 and renewals from 25 December 2022.

  2. Minimum premiums may apply

    Any discounts may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you’re eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced.

    For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you won't see the full benefit of both these discounts.

    Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges. No discounts are applied to the optional cover: Domestic Workers Compensation (if available and selected).

  3. Combined Discounts

    A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional cover.

  4. Up to 30% No Claim Bonus

    When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your Home Insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.

    After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.

    The No Claim Bonus is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.

  5. Alternative accommodation

    Covers weekly equivalent rent. Up to 10% of Building or Contents sum insured, up to a maximum of 12 months and up to $500 for your pets.

    This is an extra benefit we pay in addition to your building sum insured. We don’t pay additional alternative accommodation costs under the contents section if we’ve paid it under the buildings section. No excess applies to this benefit.

  6. Rebuilding costs

    These are extra benefits we pay in addition to your building sum insured, where we have approved these costs before they’re incurred and they relate directly to the rebuilding of the insured building. No excess applies to these benefits.

  7. Making your home building environmentally friendly

    These are extra benefits we pay in addition to your building sum insured. No excess applies to these benefits.

  8. Portable Contents

    Some portable contents must be specified on your policy schedule as Listed Portable Contents to be covered.

  9. 72-hour exclusion period may apply

    We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.

  10. Option to change your excess

    Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers compensation, Flood or Portable contents. Minimum premiums apply.

Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.