Workers' Compensation TAS

Join one of Australia’s leading workers' compensation insurers
If a worker is injured at work or develops an illness as a result of their work, they may be entitled to financial compensation. Workers' compensation insurance may include weekly payments to cover loss of earnings, reimbursement for reasonable medical and rehabilitation expenses and lump sum payments in case of permanent impairment1.
Have you been injured at work? We focus on the wellbeing and recovery of workers, helping you get back to work faster where possible. Find out what’s involved in the workers' compensation process and what you’ll need to do to make a claim.

The Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (TAS) requires all employers to hold a workers' compensation insurance policy, which covers anyone who works under a contract of service or a training agreement. 

Workers' compensation insurance covers your business for financial costs you may be liable for when a worker sustains an injury or illness that arises out of their employment.

Employers can either take out a workers' compensation insurance policy with a licensed insurer, or apply to the WorkCover Tasmania Board and be granted a permit to be self-insured.

We aim to make managing workers' compensation easy for policy holders and their representatives.
If a worker has been injured in your workplace, you can notify us online 24/7. Notifying us is the first step in making a workers' compensation claim.
Contact us or your representative to transfer your policy to us, make changes to your policy or provide confirmation of cessation of business.
Contact us or your representative to obtain your Certificate of Currency, which verifies you have a current workers' compensation insurance policy.
While the WorkCover Tasmania Board manages Tasmania’s workers' compensation scheme, WorkSafe Tasmania administers the legislation. Find out what your main responsibilities are as an employer.

When you’re notified of an injury, you must notify your insurer within three days and advise your worker, within 14 days, of their right to make a compensation claim. 

When you receive a completed Workers' Compensation Claim form accompanied by a Certificate of Capacity (medical certificate), you must complete the employer’s section and forward these documents on to your insurer within five working days. 

If a worker has been certified as totally or partially incapacitated for work, you must start making weekly compensation payments once you receive their claim for compensation, regardless of whether you dispute liability for the claim. 

You must also pay for reasonable medical expenses, up to a maximum of $5,000, unless instructed otherwise.

You can support your worker’s return to work by helping to facilitate their treatment and rehabilitation. 

In the case of a significant injury, this includes providing alternate suitable duties and collaborating with your worker, treating doctor or rehabilitation provider to develop their return to work plan or injury management plan. 

All self-insurers and employers who have more than 100 workers must appoint a suitably qualified or experienced Return to Work Coordinator.
All employers are required to maintain a register of injuries that is readily accessible to all workers. The register is a current record of any injuries suffered by workers, whether or not they result in a claim.
You must keep your injured worker's job available for them to return to for 12 months, unless there’s medical evidence that it’s highly unlikely the worker can return to their pre-injury job, or if their pre-injury job isn’t required anymore.
Our resources page includes information about injury management and return to work best practice with helpful forms, templates, tools and links.

Whether you’re an existing self-insurer or looking to transition into a self-insurance arrangement, our unique service structure helps drive success across your licensee program. 

We provide strategic support to tailor a flexible program that is simple, collaborative and helps reduce the complexities of workers' compensation. For more information, speak to one of our self-insurance experts.

To help make your workplace safer, our training courses help improve understanding of workplace health and safety responsibilities and injury management, so that you and your staff have the skills and knowledge to manage injuries and claims effectively.

Our training platform allows you to view and book upcoming training courses and access our webinar library.

Our state-based specialists understand the complexities of workers' compensation
We provide tailored support to help workers at every stage of their recovery journey
Our dedicated team of workers' compensation specialists aims to handle your claim efficiently
We provide training, along with psychological support and innovative risk management solutions to help create safer workplaces

If you’re injured at work, your first priority is to see your doctor and let your employer know what is going on as soon as possible. 

Once you have notified your employer of an injury, they must inform you, either verbally or in writing, of your right to make a claim for workers' compensation. If you want to make a claim, we recommend doing so as soon as practicable.

To make a claim, you need to complete the ‘Injured Worker’s Details’ section of a Worker’s Claim for Compensation form and lodge the form with your employer. Your employer can provide you with the claim form. 

The claim form also needs to be accompanied by a Tasmanian workers' compensation Certificate of Capacity (medical certificate), issued by an accredited medical practitioner. You need to nominate a primary treating medical practitioner in the section provided on the claim form.

Once we receive your claim, we’ll send you and your employer a letter confirming receipt of your claim. You will be provided with a claim reference number and our contact details. 
We’ll assess liability of your claim and, in most cases, advise you and your employer of a liability determination within 3 working days. In some cases, we may take up to 28 days to advise the liability status of your claim, that is whether it has been accepted or pended (to obtain further information to make a decision). You will be advised of the final liability decision for your claim within 84 days.

We understand that not everyone agrees with decisions that have been made about their claim. You can contact us on 1300 130 664 or lodge a complaint via our online form.

You can also seek free information or assistance from Worker Assist on 1300 027 747

Any dispute about liability for payment of compensation can be referred to TASCAT (Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal) for review.

You may be entitled to weekly payments of compensation in relation to your injury for the period specified on a prescribed Certificate of Capacity (medical certificate) issued by a medical practitioner.

If liability can’t be determined without additional information, then you are still entitled to payments of weekly benefits. These payments will be made by your employer on a ‘without prejudice’ basis up until liability is determined.

Your weekly compensation rate is subject to legislation and dependent on your capacity. If you have an accepted claim for compensation, you’re entitled to receive 100% of your weekly compensation rate for the first 26 weeks, after which you may be stepped down to 90% of your weekly rate, dependent on your certified capacity.

Your compensation rate is determined based upon your Normal Weekly Earning or Ordinary Time Rate of Pay and this is usually a calculation of what you’ve earnt in the 12 months preceding your injury.

Your entitlement to weekly payments of compensation may commence from the date you’re injured, provided that you have completed a claim for compensation and obtained a prescribed Certificate of Capacity (medical certificate) and given these to your employer. Your employer will make these payments in-line with your usual pay cycle. 

If you haven’t provided these documents, then your employer may pay you sick leave. Your employer can confirm this with you. 

To continue to receive compensation payments, you’re required to provide your employer with new Certificate of Capacity (medical certificate) on expiry of old ones.

If you’re incapacitated for work for 28 days or more, then you’re required to work with your employer, doctor and us to develop a Work and Health Plan. This plan aims to support your return to work and recovery, including any obligation to receive medical or surgical treatment or to participate in rehabilitation or retraining. 

Your employer may choose to work with you to develop a Work and Health Plan or alternatively we may appoint an external provider to assist with this process. 

A Work and Health Plan may be implemented prior to the 28 days at the discretion of any of the relevant parties, if it’s considered likely that your incapacity may continue for the foreseeable future. 

  1. Entitlements vary based on the circumstances of individual claims, and financial limits apply over the life of the claim.
Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.