Why choose Allianz Contents Insurance?
Pay monthly at no extra cost3
Instant Certificate of Currency
What’s not covered
Save up to 10% when you buy both Building and Contents cover and combine them on the one policy2,5
Events our Contents Insurance covers
- Fire or smoke (including bushfires6 and grassfires6)
- Theft or burglary
- Storm and cyclone6, rainwater or run off (not including flood which subject to eligibility may be available under the optional Flood cover6)
- Water or other liquid damage
- Impact damage
- Earthquake or tsunami
- Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
- Vandalism or malicious damage
- Riots or civil commotion
Contents Insurance calculator
Contents replacement calculator
Ready to get started?
Frequently asked questions
Contents insurance is designed to help cover the cost of loss or damage to your contents at your home. This includes everything from furniture, rugs and appliances to your BBQ and even clothes, shoes, handbags and more.
Our Contents Insurance covers the cost of repair or replacement when loss or damage is caused by fire (including bushfires6 and grassfires6), break-ins, storms, earthquakes and more. Flood cover6 may be available as an optional cover.
Plus, it provides legal liability cover which can cover you if you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidently injured them or damaged their property during the period of insurance.
The amount you choose to insure your contents for is called the 'contents sum insured'.
The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors, and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.
There are a number of factors that determine how your Allianz Contents Insurance premium is calculated, including:
- Your risk profile. We work this out using a number of factors, such as:
- Where you live
- The type of property you’re insuring
- The amount and type of cover you require
- Any other people also insured under the policy
- The relevant claims history of the people being insured
- The likelihood of a claim being made on your policy
- Any discounts that may apply
- Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST
- Emergency Services Levies if they apply to the State or Territory where your home is located
- Any other charges we tell you of
- The excess you choose7
We offer a contents calculator that’s powered by Sum Insured Pty Ltd, to make estimating the value of your contents easy. Simply enter your address into the contents calculator and verify a few details to get an estimate of your contents’ value.
You can even adjust the pre-populated fields like number of rooms in your home and add specific contents categories to generate an estimated replacement value (sum insured amount).
It’s important that the amount you’re insured for accurately reflects the cost to replace your contents. This is because you might have to pay the difference out of your own pocket if you’re insured for less than the replacement value of your contents. The contents calculator works as a guide that can help you avoid being underinsured.
If you take out Contents Insurance, here’s how it can work if you experience an insured loss:
- Your house or apartment you live in burns down and destroys all your contents within it. With adequate sums insured under contents cover, you could replace your insured contents.
- A kitchen fire damages your kitchen in your house or apartment. With adequate sums insured under contents cover, you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware including crockery and domestic appliances.
- A thief enters the door to your house or apartment and steals your contents. You can replace the items that were stolen under your Contents Insurance.
- While rearranging your furniture, you accidentally drop your bookshelf on your glass coffee table, and the glass breaks. You can repair or replace the glass on your coffee table in this instance. This is because your Allianz Contents Insurance covers accidental breakage of glass that forms part of your contents in your home (other than those contents that are excluded such as televisions – see the ).
If you take out optional accidental damage cover, we’ll repair or replace the whole coffee table including the glass.
This cover option allows you to insure items which you wear or carry with you outside your insured address, such as a handbag, wallet, sunglasses, jewellery or a musical instrument. You can choose from two types of Portable Contents cover – unlisted or listed – or you can choose both.
Unlisted Portable Contents
This option allows you to select a per item limit and per claim limit, e.g. up to $2,000 per item and $7,500 per claim. This means you don’t have to specifically list an item. However, this option doesn't cover items such as laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology which need to be covered under Listed Portable Contents.
Listed Portable Contents
This cover option allows you to cover specific portable options for their full value (less any excess). Laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology can be listed under your policy and covered as listed portable items.
We're here to help
Give us a call, or send us a message
Follow us on
- Up to 30% No Claim Bonus – Home
When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your home insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.
After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.
The No Claim Bonus discount is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.
- Minimum premiums may apply
Any discounts may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you’re eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you won't see the full benefit of both these discounts.
Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges. No discounts are applied to the optional cover: Domestic Workers Compensation (if available and selected).
- Pay by instalments
Premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards and downwards) due to rounding, and financial institution transaction fees may apply.
Available for new policies effective from 13 November 2022 and renewals from 25 December 2022.
- Portable Contents
Some portable contents must be specified on your policy schedule as Listed Portable Contents to be covered.
- Combined Discounts
A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional cover.
- 72-hour exclusion period may apply
We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant
- Option to change your excess
Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers compensation, Flood or Portable contents. Minimum premiums apply.
Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.
Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.