Workers' Compensation NSW

Share in our experience and expertise as you partner with us
If a worker is injured at work or develops an illness because of their work, they may be entitled to financial compensation. Workers' compensation insurance may include weekly payments to cover loss of earnings, reimbursement for reasonable medical and rehabilitation expenses and lump sum payments in case of permanent impairment1.
Have you been injured at work? Find out what’s involved in the workers' compensation process and what you’ll need to do to make a claim. To lodge a claim, first speak to your employer.

icare is the Government Insurer for workers' compensation in NSW workplaces and manages all workers' compensation policies directly, unless your organisation is covered by self or specialised insurance arrangements.

For all policy enquiries or to obtain a new policy, contact icare on 13 44 22 or visit their website.

icare’s Claims Service Providers (CSP) manage claims on behalf of icare following a workplace injury. We’re a CSP for the Nominal Insurer.

We strive to understand your business and workplace needs to provide the best possible outcomes.

Information for private employers and brokers including claims management and how we support your worker’s return to work.
Learn more about how we manage workers' compensation claims for icare Insurance for NSW and support your public sector employees' return to work.
We manage medical expenses and permanent impairment claims on behalf of State Super for the Police Superannuation Scheme (known as Hurt on Duty or HOD claims) for police officers sworn in before 1 April 1988.
Under the Workers' Compensation Act 1987 (NSW), employers must hold a workers' compensation insurance policy if they:
  • employ workers on a full time, part time or casual basis, under an oral or written contract of service or training contract; and
  • expect to pay more than $7,500 in wages and benefits in the next financial year; or 
  • employ trainees or apprentices; or
  • are a member of a group for premium purposes.
If you’re required to have workers' compensation insurance but don’t have a policy, you may face severe penalties.
The State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) is the NSW Government agency that regulates the NSW workers' compensation scheme. Find out what your main responsibilities are under workers' compensation below or view SIRA’s guide for employers.

Notify your claims service provider within 48 hours of becoming aware of a work-related injury or illness. If you fail to do this as a private employer, you may be required to pay an excess.

If a notifiable incident occurs, you must notify SafeWork NSW immediately on 13 10 50.

You must provide suitable work when a worker can return to work that is equivalent to their pre-injury duties, where practicable. Supporting your worker also includes collaborating with your claims service provider, worker, treating doctor or rehabilitation provider to develop and follow their injury management plan. 
Create a Return to Work (RTW) program that outlines the steps you’ll take if a worker is injured and how you will support their rehabilitation. You must also display the “If you get injured at work” poster. 
All employers are required to maintain a register of injuries that is readily accessible to all of their workers. The register is a current record of any injuries suffered by workers, whether or not they result in a claim.
To help facilitate injured workers’ return to work, you can’t dismiss a worker because of a work-related injury for six months from when the worker became unfit to work because of their injury.
If a worker’s compensation claim is accepted, then you must make weekly compensation payments commencing within three working days of the decision to accept the claim. 
Our resources page includes information about injury management and return to work best practice with helpful forms, templates, tools and links.

Whether you’re an existing self-insurer or looking to transition into a self-insurance arrangement, our unique service structure will drive success across your licensee program. 

We provide strategic support to tailor a flexible program that is simple, collaborative and removes the complexities of workers' compensation. For more information, speak to one of our self-insurance experts.

To help make your workplace safer, our training courses help improve understanding of workplace health and safety responsibilities and injury management, so that you and your staff have the skills and knowledge to manage injuries in the workplace.

Our training platform allows you to view and book upcoming training courses and access our webinar library.

Our state-based specialists understand the complexities of workers' compensation
We provide tailored support to help workers at every stage of their recovery journey
Our dedicated team of workers' compensation specialists aims to handle your claim efficiently
We provide training, along with psychological support and innovative risk management solutions to help create safer workplaces
  1. Entitlements vary based on the circumstances of individual claims, and financial limits apply over the life of the claim.
Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.