Renters Insurance

Cover for your prized possessions that make a house your home
With our Home Insurance, you could get up to 30% No Claim Bonus1,2 depending on your claims history.
When you buy or renew, you have the flexibility to pay annually or monthly at no extra cost.
Your proof of insurance – Certificate of Currency (COC) – will be emailed instantly after you purchase your policy.
You can make a claim online or call 13 10 13 for claims service 24 hours, 7 days a week.
From Insurer of the Year to Excellence in Claims, we’re proud to have won numerous industry awards over the years.
Australian Insurance Industry Awards Finalist 2022 and Insurance Business Awards Winner 2022
Insurance Business Awards Winner 2021 and The Mansfield Awards 2021
Has your property or its contents been damaged? Making a claim with us is quick and simple. Find out what’s involved and what you’ll need to make a claim.
Find out what is and isn’t covered under our renter's contents insurance, as well as some optional covers you can buy.

We’ll cover your building for loss or damage caused by 11 insured events, including fire,4 storms,4 and theft. This is a limited summary only of some of the benefits. For further details, see the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
  • Repair or replacement after an insured event
  • If an insured event damages your contents, and we’ve accepted your claim, we’ll pay the reasonable cost of repairing or replacing your damaged contents items.

    We’ll pay up to the contents sum insured you nominate, or any set limits outlined in the PDS.
  • Legal liability cover
  • Covers you if you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidentally injured them or damaged their property during the period of insurance.

    We’ll pay up to $20 million.
  • Alternative accommodation
  • If, during the period of insurance, an insured event damages your contents to such an extent that your home can’t be lived in, we’ll pay your temporary rental accommodation costs.

    Up to 10% of your contents sum insured for a maximum of 12 months, calculated on your building’s rentable value before the damage. 5 We’ll also pay up to $500, as a one-off payment, for commercial pet boarding.
  • Emergency contents storage
  • If you can’t live in your home due to damage from an insured event, we’ll reimburse the reasonable costs to move and store your undamaged contents. This will be while the buildings are repaired or rebuilt, or you find alternative accommodation – for up to 12 months.

    The most we’ll pay is the balance of your contents sum insured after we’ve paid any claim for damage to your contents.
  • Moving house cover
  • If you have Contents Insurance and you’re moving house, we’ll cover your contents both at your new and old Australian address for up to 14 days after you first start to move.

    Note: We won’t cover your contents while they’re in transit.
  • Debris removal
  • Covers the reasonable costs to remove debris from your home buildings if your contents are damaged or destroyed by an insured event.

    Covers up to 10% of your contents sum insured.
  • Vet costs
  • If you’ve insured your contents and your cat or dog is injured in a road accident, we’ll help with related veterinary costs.

    We’ll pay up to $500 in any one period of insurance. No excess applies.
  • Food or medicine spoilage
  • If your fridge or freezer breaks down and you lose perishable food or medicine, we'll pay up to your sum insured to replace them. If the spoilage is due to a natural disaster, the most we’ll pay is $500.

These are some of the things that our renter’s contents insurance won’t cover:
  • Certain items while they’re being used, such as sports equipment, bicycles, and watercraft.
  • Lost property that’s mislaid or missing – unless you’ve insured the item or items under optional Portable Contents.
  • Cracked glass or screens in laptops, mobile phones, computers or their accessories where this is the only damage to the item.
  • Wear and tear, including gradual deterioration or lack of maintenance.
  • Existing defects, damage, or poor workmanship.
  • Loss or damage caused by pets or domestic animals, or birds, insects, or vermin.


You can consider adding any of these optional covers to your policy at an additional cost.
  • Portable Contents
  • Covers loss or damage to your portable items, such as wallets, glasses, jewellery, cameras and mobile phones,6 caused by theft or an accident.

    This option covers your portable contents Australia-wide or anywhere in the world when you’re outside Australia for up to 120 continuous days in any one period of insurance.

    Choose from two types of cover – listed or unlisted.
  • Flood
  • Covers you for loss or damage to your contents caused by flood and certain flood-related events. Optional Flood cover may not be available in some areas.

    Note: 72-hour exclusion period may apply. We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy.  For full details of conditions and exclusions, see the relevant PDS.
  • Accidental Damage
  • Covers you for accidental damage caused by sudden, unforeseen and unintended events, not just the specified insured events. This option automatically includes Motor Burnout cover.
  • Motor Burnout
  • Covers you if an electrical current damages your domestic household’s electrical motors, such as your fridge or freezer, providing they’re under 10 years old.

This is a summary only of some of the features and benefits available on Allianz Home Insurance, as well as some of the exclusions. Before deciding on a policy, carefully consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Supplementary PDS (where applicable) which set out the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.
Covers the cost of repairing or replacing your contents if you’ve experienced loss or damage caused by the following insured events^.

^For a full list of events covered by Allianz Contents Insurance for renters, see the relevant PDS.

When you take out Contents Insurance, it’s important that the amount you’re insured for accurately reflects the cost to replace your contents. This is because you might have to pay the difference out of your own pocket if you’re insured for less than the replacement value of your contents.

Allianz Home Contents Insurance provides contents cover for renters. It’s designed to help cover the cost of loss or damage to the contents at your rental home as a result of an insured event. Contents Insurance can provide cover for your furniture and appliances to electrical goods and your BBQ, and even clothes, shoes and handbags.

Contents Insurance covers the cost of repair or replacement of your contents when loss or damage is caused by events such as break-ins, fires (including bushfire4 and grassfire4), storms, impact damage such as a fallen tree, as well as accidental breakage of glass and more.

The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors, and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.

There are a number of factors that determine how your Allianz Home Contents Insurance premium is calculated, including:

  • Your risk profile. We work this out using a number of factors, such as:
    • Where you live
    • The type of property you’re insuring
    • The amount and type of cover you require
    • Any other people also insured under the policy
    • The relevant claims history of the people being insured
    • The likelihood of a claim being made on your policy
  • Any discounts that may apply
  • Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST
  • Emergency Services Levies if they apply to the State or Territory where your home is located
  • Any other charges we tell you of
  • The excess you choose7

To find out the cost of your Renter’s contents insurance through Allianz, get a quick quote today!

Yes, we can offer insurance for up to three unrelated people living in the home. Our Renter's contents insurance will cover contents for up to three housemates, as long as they’re named on the policy as an insured policy holder.
If you’re a renter or tenant, and you want to be covered for the cost of repairing or replacing your contents e.g. furniture, whitegoods, electrical appliances and clothing, then you may want to take out Renter's contents insurance. Our contents calculator is available to help estimate the value of your contents.

If you take out Contents Insurance, here’s how it can work if you suffer an insured loss:

  • The house or apartment you live in burns down and destroys all your contents within it. With adequate sums insured under Renter's contents cover, you could replace your insured contents.
  • A thief enters your house or apartment and steals your contents. You can replace the items that were stolen under your Contents insurance.
  • While rearranging your furniture, you accidentally drop your book shelf on your glass coffee table, and the glass breaks. Your Allianz Contents Insurance covers accidental breakage of glass that forms part of your contents in your home (other than those contents that are excluded such as televisions – see the PDS). If you take out optional accidental damage cover, we’ll repair or replace the whole coffee table including the glass.

To see some of the events covered and not covered by our Renters Insurance, refer to our Key Fact Sheets (KFS).
  1. Up to 30% No Claim Bonus – Home

    When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your home insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.

    After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.

    The No Claim Bonus discount is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.

  2. Minimum premiums may apply

    Any discounts may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you’re eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you won't see the full benefit of both these discounts.

    Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges.

  3. Pay by instalments

    Premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards and downwards) due to rounding, and financial institution transaction fees may apply.

  4. 72-hour exclusion period may apply

    We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions, see the relevant PDS.

  5. Alternative accommodation

    We don’t pay additional alternative accommodation costs under the contents section if we’ve paid it under the buildings  section. No excess applies to this benefit.

  6. Portable Contents

    Some portable contents must be specified on your policy schedule as Listed Portable Contents to be covered.

  7. Option to change your excess

    Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable Contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers’ Compensation, Flood or Portable Contents. Minimum premiums apply.

Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.