Home and Landlord Insurance QLD

Our Home, Contents and Landlord Insurance for Queenslanders
With our Home Insurance, you could get up to 30% No Claim Bonus2,5 depending on your claims history.
When you buy or renew, you have the flexibility to pay annually or monthly at no extra cost.
Your proof of insurance – Certificate of Currency (COC) – will be emailed instantly after you purchase your policy.
You can make a claim online or call 13 10 13 for claims service 24 hours, 7 days a week.
From Insurer of the Year to Excellence in Claims, we’re proud to have won numerous industry awards over the years.
Australian Insurance Industry Awards Finalist 2022 and Insurance Business Awards Winner 2022
Insurance Business Awards Winner 2021 and The Mansfield Awards 2021

Whether you’re a laid-back homeowner in Townsville, a sun-seeker renting in Brisbane or a savvy property investor on the Sunshine Coast, you’ll want to look after your property. We offer a choice of Home Building Insurance, Home Contents Insurance and Landlord Insurance to help cover your home, the belongings you own or your investment property from damage, loss or extreme weather.

Get a quote online or learn more about the Home and Landlord Insurance we offer to Queenslanders below.

With Allianz you may save on your Home, Landlord and/or Contents Insurance premium:

  • If you’re buying Home Insurance, combine your Building and Contents cover on the one policy and save up to 10%1,2,4 (compared to buying each cover as a standalone cover). This discount doesn’t apply to Landlords Insurance.
  • If you increase your basic excess: our policies come with flexible excess levels, giving you the option to increase your basic excess, within a given range, which could reduce your premium.3
If you take out both Building and Contents cover, here’s how these covers can work together if you suffer an insured loss:
You could lose your building, and everything in it. With adequate sums insured under Building and Contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as benchtops, with Home Building Insurance. Then, you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your Contents Insurance policy.
They break the locks and steal your belongings. You can fix the window and locks through your Building Insurance and replace the items that were stolen under your Contents Insurance.
Plus, you’ll only have to pay one excess if your building and contents are damaged by the same insured event, and you’ve combined them on one policy.

Extreme weather, such as storms, bushfires and cyclones, is a part of life in Queensland. Our Home and Landlord Insurance covers the cost of rebuilding or replacing your building and contents in the event of extreme weather.

If you live in an area prone to flooding, such as Brisbane or other low-lying areas in Queensland, optional Flood coverage4 may be available for both homeowners and renters. We insure against the following events as part of our coverage for Queenslanders. 

Optional flood cover4 may not be available in some areas.

  • Fire or smoke, including bushfires4 and grassfires4
  • Storm and cyclone4, rainwater or run off; not including flood which subject to eligibility may be available under optional Flood cover
  • Theft or burglary
  • Water or other liquid damage
  • Vandalism or malicious damage
  • Impact damage
  • Lightning
  • Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
  • Earthquake or tsunami
  • Explosion
  • Riots or civil commotion
Dramatic storm clouds

Under the Cyclone Reinsurance Pool, we now offer Home Insurance and Landlord Insurance to those living in Far North Queensland.

With our Building and Contents cover, you’ll be covered for loss or damage caused by:

  • Storm
  • Cyclone
  • Rainwater
  • Run-off, as long as it’s not combined with flood waters

What’s not covered includes, but is not limited to loss or damage caused by:

  • Flood and run-off combined with floods, unless you’ve picked up the optional cover
  • Storm surge
  • Hydrostatic pressure
  • Rainwater, run-off, hail, wind, or water that enters your buildings through an open door, window or other opening (excluding openings made by the storm or cyclone)

Along with loss or damage caused to:

  • Trees, shrubs, and plants in the ground
  • Retaining walls
  • Swimming pool and spa covers
  • External paintwork and exterior coatings of buildings by rainwater
Weatherboard house in floodwaters

Flood cover4 may be available as an optional cover. Under Flood cover your building and contents can be covered for loss or damage caused by:

  • Flood, flood water, combined with run-off and rainwater

This also includes the following if it’s caused directly and within 72 hours of a flood:

  • Landslide
  • Mudslide
  • Subsidence
  • Soil movement, including erosion

To find out if you’re eligible for Flood cover, get a quick online quote or call us on 13 1000.

If you hold a policy with us and would like to find out whether your Building and Contents Insurance policy currently has Flood cover, log in to My Allianz to check your policy documentation or call us on 13 1000.

The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.

There are a number of factors that determine how your Allianz Home and Contents Insurance premium is calculated, including:

  • Your risk profile. We work this out using details such as:
    • Where you live.
    • The type of property you’re insuring.
    • The amount and type of cover you need.
    • Any other people also insured under the policy.
    • The relevant claims history of the people being insured.
    • The likelihood of a claim being made on your policy.
  • Any discounts that may apply.
  • Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST.
  • Any other charges we tell you about.
  • The excess you choose.3

To find out the cost of insuring your house, contents, or investment property in Queensland, get a quick online quote in minutes today!

Yes, if your renovations are expected to cost less than $75,000. You’ll need to notify us as soon as reasonably possible if, during the period of insurance, you begin any alterations, additions, demolitions, repairs to or decorations of the buildings that are expected to cost more than $75,000.

If you don’t, we may refuse or reduce a claim under the policy because of the delay or the non-disclosure. When we receive this information, we may:

  • Propose changes to the terms and conditions of your policy.
  • Propose to charge you a higher premium.
  • Cancel your policy; if there’s a change and we can’t reach an agreement with you on altered terms and conditions or premium, or we’re no longer prepared to insure you because there’s been a material change to the risk.
  • Decide not to offer to renew your policy.

Note: It’s also important that you increase your sum insured to consider any extensions or renovations to make sure you’re adequately covered in the event of a home or landlord insurance claim.

Home Insurance covers you against financial losses associated with the damage or loss of the property you own. Home insurance isn't a legal requirement. However, if you hold a mortgage over your property, most banks and mortgage lenders require you to take out home insurance as security to safeguard themselves against financial risk due to unexpected damage or loss to your property.  

Lenders may require you to list them as an interested party when buying insurance and may also request proof of insurance (Certificate of Currency) before the loan is finalised or for each year your mortgage is held with them. 

To request a Certificate of Currency for your existing Allianz Home Insurance policy, call us on 13 1000 or log in to My Allianz.

Here’s a list of some of the things we don’t cover under a Home Buildings policy:

  • If you leave your home unoccupied for any period longer than of 60 consecutive days, unless otherwise agreed in writing beforehand.
  • Your contents, such as carpets, rugs, and internal blinds etc., unless you’ve added contents cover to your policy.
  • Loss, damage, injury or legal liability due to the following:
    • If you fail to keep your home in good condition. This includes wear and tear, and lack of maintenance.
    • Pre-existing damage to your home.
    • Flooding, unless you’ve added the optional Flood cover to your policy.
    • You carry out alterations, additions, demolition, repairs or decorations to your building with a commercial value of more than $75,000.
    • Damage deliberately caused by you, a family member or someone acting with your consent.
    • Holiday letting.
    • Anything not directly related to one of the insured events. Refer to the PDS for a list of insured events.

This is a summary only of some of the exclusions on Allianz Home Insurance. Before making a decision on this insurance, carefully consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Supplementary PDS (where applicable) which set out the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.

The Cyclone Reinsurance Pool, also known as the ‘cyclone pool’, is a reinsurance arrangement between insurers and the Australian Reinsurance Pool Corporation (ARPC). It operates Australia wide and provides reinsurance for insurers operating in cyclone-prone areas, such as Far North Queensland. This means we can transfer our risk for cyclones and cyclone-related damage to this reinsurance pool, which is backed by a $10 billion Government guarantee.
The Cyclone Reinsurance Pool covers claims for cyclone and related flood damage caused during a cyclone event, i.e. from the time a cyclone begins until 48 hours after the cyclone ends. This includes wind, rain, rainwater, rainwater run-off, storm surge, and riverine flood damage caused by a cyclone. Note that you’ll need to select the Flood Cover option with your Allianz Home or Landlord insurance to be covered for Flood.

If you live in a cyclone-prone area, you may have found it difficult to get insurance at a price that’s within your budget, or at all. The cyclone pool supports cyclone-prone areas, with the aim of making insurance more available and affordable. That’s because the Government-backed cyclone pool lowers the reinsurance risk for insurers. As we operate in Far North Queensland, our Home Insurance and Landlord Insurance are now available for even more Queenslanders.

If you live in Northern Queensland, we can now offer you Home Insurance or Landlord Insurance, or both. Your insurance may become more affordable because the cyclone pool lowers the reinsurance cost for most policies with medium-to-high exposure to cyclone risk. If you already have insurance with us and live in a cyclone-prone area, your premiums may also become more affordable. 

Visit the Australian Government's ARPC page for more details about the cyclone pool or give us a call to discuss your insurance needs.

To see some of the events covered and not covered, refer to our Key Fact Sheets (KFS).
  1. Combined Discount
    A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents covers on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable contents cover.

  2. Minimum premiums may apply
    Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts.

    Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges.

  3. Option to change your excess

    Home Insurance:
    Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers' compensation, Flood or Portable contents. Minimum premiums apply.

    Landlord Insurance: Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, or to the imposed excess applied to the policy. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Landlord's Workers' compensation, or Flood. Minimum premiums apply.

  4. 72-hour exclusion period (applicable to Allianz Home Insurance only)
    We don't provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first take out or increase the cover under the policy. For full terms, conditions and exclusions about our home insurance, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

  5. Up to 30% No Claim Bonus

    Home Insurance:
    When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your Home Insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must’ve had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.

    After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.

    The No Claim Bonus is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.

    Landlord Insurance: When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your Landlord Insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Landlord Insurance customers must’ve had no landlord losses in the preceding three years. However, customers who've had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.

    After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.

    The No Claim Bonus doesn't apply to optional cover Flood, if selected, but is applied to Rent Default and Theft by Tenant (if selected).

  6. Pay by instalments
    Premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding and financial institution transactions fees may apply.
Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.