Compare Car Insurance Cover

Be inspired when you drive by finding the right cover for you

Car Insurance comparison chartCar Insurance Product Comparison (effective 17 September 2017).

If you have a claim under
this policy we give
benefits for:
Third Party Property
Damage, Fire & Theft
Third Party Property
Damage cover
Cover for damage to
other people's property
(legal liability cover)
$20 million* $20 million* $20 million*
Approved legal costs
arising out of a covered
loss under your policy
Legal liability cover
when using a substitute
Damage to your car if
you are not at fault
in an accident and the
other vehicle is uninsured
Up to a market
value of $5,000
Up to a market
value of $5,000
Reasonable costs of
towing after a
covered accident, fire or theft
Fire & theft only
value of $5,000
Accidental loss or damage
to your car caused by fire or theft
Up to a market
value of $5,000
Cover for accidental damage
or loss to your car
(caused by events other
than fire or theft)
New replacement car if
your new car (less than
two years old from
original registration) is
a total loss
Rental car following
theft ($100 per day limit,
up to 21 days)
Supplementary Bodily Injury $20 million* $20 million* $20 million*
Cost of emergency repairs Up to $500
Reasonable emergency
accommodation and
travel expenses
Up to $750
Accidental damage to or
theft of personal effects
and clothing
Up to $750
Replacement of any Child Seat
or Baby Capsule in the vehicle
after a covered accident
Up to $500
Lock re-keying and
re-coding if keys to your
vehicle are stolen
Up to $1,000
Reimbursement of transportation
costs if you vehicle cannot be
safely driven home after
a covered accident
Up to $500
Accidental loss or damage
to trailer or caravan attached to
your vehicle at the time
of the covered accident
Up to $1,000
Star Rating
Removal of basic excess
on windscreen claim
Rental car following an
accident ($100 per day limit,
up to 21 days)
Tools of Trade (up to $3,000) Optional

Choosing Car Insurance

When shopping around for car insurance, the first question you need to ask is, "Do I need Comprehensive Car Insurance or is Third Party Property Damage Insurance sufficient?"

Comprehensive Car Insurance provides you with cover- for accidental damage to your vehicle or theft of your vehicle as well as damage to other people's vehicle or property where you are at fault. Additional benefits include:

  • Car hire (up to $100 per day) if your car is stolen
  • Towing after an accident
  • New replacement vehicle if your new car which was purchased brand new or as a demonstrator model (is a total loss) and is less than 2 years old
  • Accidental loss or damage to a trailer and Emergency repairs where we have accepted a claim for accidental loss or damage to the insured vehicle
  • Emergency accommodation* (Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions’ apply)

In deciding whether to take out Comprehensive Car Insurance you should weigh up the financial cost to yourself if your car is written off compared to the insurance premium you are paying.

If your car is financed, Comprehensive cover may be a requirement of the finance company. If your vehicle is not financed, the decision to go for a Comprehensive Car Insurance policy comes down to the value of the vehicle, what it would cost you to repair it, and whether you could pay for the repairs yourself.

As your car ages and its market value decreases, a Third Party Property Damage policy may make more sense. Third Party Property Damage Insurance covers you for any damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property.

Alternatively, Third Party Property Damage Fire and Theft may be the ideal middle ground for you. You are covered not only for damage caused to other people’s property but also if your car is stolen or damaged by fire, up to a specified amount. However, it is worth bearing in mind that with online discounts available and ways of reducing your premium, comprehensive insurance may represent better value depending on your circumstances.

You can save money on your comprehensive car insurance premium if you:

  • Limit the number of drivers+
  • Have a named driver policy only+*
  • Compare and choose your extras carefully
  • Save up to 15% on your first year's premium when you buy a new comprehensive car insurance policy online
  • Qualify as a safe driver
  • Increase your excess*

* Minimum premiums may apply. Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent any minimum premium is not reached. If you are eligible for more than one, we also apply each of them in a predetermined order to the premium (excluding taxes and government charges) as reduced by any prior applied discounts/entitlements. Discounts may not be applied to the premium for optional covers such as Flood and Personal Effects (where applicable).

+In these circumstances, a corresponding excess will apply if a claim is made for an accident when the relevant condition was not satisfied (e.g. an unnamed driver was driving the car where drivers are named on the policy).

Many people ask, what is the difference between Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance and Compulsory Third Party cover?

You cannot register a car in Australia without Compulsory Third Party insurance (CTP), also known as a Green Slip in NSW. This insures you against liability for any death or injury to other road users caused by your car, no matter who is driving.

CTP cover does not cover damage to property. Third Party Property Damage Insurance covers you for the damage your car causes to another driver’s vehicle or property. Third Party Property Damage, Fire & Theft also covers you if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

Getting a quote for car insurance is quick and easy if you have the right information handy. Most quotes can be done online in a matter of minutes. Whether you use our online service or call 13 1000, you will be asked a series of questions, including:

  • What date do you want your policy to begin: it must be within the next 30 days
  • Where is the vehicle parked overnight: is it in a garage, carport or on the road?
  • Details of the person driving the car, including the year they got their Australian driver’s licence
  • The make, model, year and weekly mileage of the vehicle
  • Any modifications that have been made to the vehicle
  • How the vehicle is financed
  • Whether the vehicle is for business or private use
  • Your residential and employment status

When you have answered the required questions, you will be provided with the available options and given both an annual and month-by-month quote.

Car insurance covers you for costs in the event of an accident or claim that is covered by your policy in exchange for you paying an insurance premium. The amount you pay for your premium is based on your personal risk level. The answers you give to a series of questions will be entered into our database and the statistics will be compared to other people who match your profile in order to calculate your premium. Here are some of the key factors that help determine your level of risk:

  • The driver's age
  • The make and model of your vehicle
  • Annual mileage
  • Whether the driver is male or female
  • Where the vehicle is kept overnight
  • The suburb or town where the vehicle is kept
  • Whether the vehicle is privately owned or financed

By providing answers to these questions, we can accurately predict how much of a risk you are and ensure you are not paying for other people’s mistakes.

The cost of your premium also depends on the amount of excess you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. In general, premiums will be higher if a lower excess is selected, and vice versa.

More about Allianz Car Insurance

Making a claim

Learn more about making a claim or start a claim now

Learn More


CTP insurance is commonly referred to as a Green Slip in NSW and must be purchased before you can register your vehicle.

Learn More

Policy documents

Before making a decision please consider the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). A Premium, Excess, Discount and Options Guide (PED) is also available for reference.

Learn More

Frequently Asked Questions

Comprehensive Car Insurance provides you with cover for repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident or while it is not being driven. It also provides you with cover for damage you cause to other people's property and vehicles. Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance insures you or any other driver of your vehicle against liability for death or injuries resulting from a motor vehicle accident for which you or the driver of your vehicle are at fault. Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance only provides cover for damage you cause to other people's vehicle and property, while Third Party Property, Fire and Theft provides additional cover for damage to your vehicle caused by fire or theft.

Next Steps

Policy documents

We do not provide advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). A Premium, Excess, Discount and Options Guide (PED) is also available for reference.