How to lodge a car insurance claim

 Last updated August 2, 2022

If your car is involved in an accident, you may need to make a claim on your car insurance for property damage.

Being involved in an accident can be disorienting and you may be unsure of what to do next. We’ve detailed the steps for how to lodge a car insurance claim for property damage.

If you’re involved in an accident, follow these steps to make sure you’ve gathered all the information you need and to lodge your claim.

Call an ambulance if there is a serious injury.

If you can still drive your vehicle, move it off the road. If your vehicle can’t be driven, arrange for it to be towed to the nearest place of safety. If you have Allianz Comprehensive Car Insurance, we’ll cover reasonable costs of towing.

We can also help you find a towing service when you call us to make a claim if you haven’t already arranged one.

Exchange details with all drivers involved in the accident, as well as the owners of any property that has been damaged.

For each vehicle involved in the accident, you should collect as many details as you can, such as:

  • The name, address, contact number and licence number of the driver.
  • The name and address of the vehicle’s owner (if different to the driver).
  • The vehicle’s registration number.
  • Any other information needed to identify the vehicle.

You should also collect the name, phone number, and address details from anyone present whose property has been damaged in the accident.

If there are witnesses nearby who saw the accident, ask for their names and phone numbers as well.

If possible and safe to do so, take photos and videos (with your smartphone or camera) of the accident site, roadway, weather conditions and resulting damage to the vehicles and other property. Make sure to be thorough and capture as much of the damage as possible. You may also wish to write notes about what occurred.

Depending on what happened during the accident, you might need to notify the police. Notification requirements differ depending on the state or territory you’re in. You’ll need to report your accident if:

  • A person was killed or injured (all states)
  • A driver didn't give their details to other drivers (all states)
  • A vehicle was towed away after the accident (NSW, SA, QLD, TAS, NT)
  • Property damage exceeds $3,000 (SA, WA)
  • The owner or representative of damaged property wasn't present (WA, VIC)

If you’re not sure whether you need to report your accident, it may be best to report it anyway.

If you have Allianz Comprehensive Car Insurance, you can submit your claim online 24/7, or call our claims department on 13 10 13 to speak with one of our friendly representatives.
If your vehicle has been stolen, you’ll need to take the following steps to make a claim:
Call the police and let them know your vehicle has been stolen. You’ll need to provide them with information such as your car’s make, model, colour, and registration number. The police will give you an incident report number that you’ll need to provide to us when lodging your insurance claim.
If you have Allianz Comprehensive Car Insurance, you can submit your claim online 24/7, or call our claims department on 13 10 13 to speak with one of our friendly representatives.
If you need help understanding your cover, give us a call on 13 10 13. You don't have to continue with your claim once you've spoken to us if you don’t want to – it won't affect your claims history or policy premium if you decide to withdraw your claim.

This article has been prepared by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL234708 ("Allianz"). In some cases, information has been provided to us by third parties and while that information is believed to be accurate and reliable, its accuracy is not guaranteed in any way. 

Any opinions expressed constitute our views at the time of issue and are subject to change. Neither Allianz, nor its employees or directors give any warranty of accuracy or accept responsibility for any loss or liability incurred by you in respect of any error, omission or misrepresentation in this article.

Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.