How do I insure my mobile phone with Allianz?
Insuring your mobile at home
Insuring your mobile away from home
How do I get optional Portable Contents cover for my phone?
- Select Portable Contents.
- Add the value of your phone under ‘Listed Portable Contents’.
- List your phone as a separate item when you buy your policy.
Should I insure my mobile phone as ‘specified’ or ‘unspecified’ contents?
If your phone is worth more than the $1,500 general contents limit for phones, you should list it as ‘specified’ contents. You’ll need to specify its value.
Specified contents items are only covered at your insured address. If you need cover for your mobile phone when it’s away from your home, consider optional Portable Contents cover.
What our Home Contents Insurance covers for phones
Under Home and Contents or Contents Insurance, your phone is covered against:
- Loss or damage due to insured events, like theft or fire,1 at your home
If you add optional Portable Contents cover to your Contents Insurance, your phone is covered against:
- Loss or damage due to theft or an accident anywhere in the world, with cover outside of Australia limited to 120 continuous days
Note: We won’t cover cracked glass or screens, where that’s the only damage to your phone.
Is my phone covered in Australia and when I’m travelling overseas?
Is accidental damage or losing my phone covered by insurance?
Your phone may be covered for accidental damage under one of the following options:
- If you have optional Portable Contents cover under your Home Contents policy. Mobile phones are only covered under this option if they’re specified on your policy as Listed Portable Contents.
- If you have optional Accidental Damage cover under your Home Contents policy. Cover for your phone under the Accidental Damage option is limited to $1,500.
This is a summary only of some of the features and benefits available on Allianz Home Insurance, as well as some of the exclusions. Before deciding on a policy, carefully consider the relevant (where applicable) which set out the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.
How much does Contents Insurance that covers my phone cost?
The cost will depend on a number of factors.
- The value of your home contents, including your phone
- Excess options – the amount you’ll pay towards the claim, e.g. our optional Portable Contents cover has a basic excess of $100
- How many claims you make
- Any discounts that may apply – if you haven’t made any home insurance claims in five years, you may receive a No Claim Bonus of up to 30%2
I’ve lost my phone, or it’s been stolen, what do I do?
Losing a phone is stressful, especially if it’s stolen. Here are some essential steps to take before making a claim:
- Try using GPS or location services such as ‘Find my Phone’
- Change your passwords
- Block your sim card through your mobile phone service provider
- If your phone has been stolen, contact the police within 48 hours and get a police report
- Monitor your bank statements for suspicious charges
- If you need to make a claim, contact us
How do I make a claim on my Contents Insurance?
There are just three steps to make a claim with Allianz.
1. Get the details – you’ll need the following:
- Police report, if your phone has been stolen
- Evidence of the loss or damage, such as photos
- Proof of purchase, such as a receipt or credit card statement
- Your policy details
3. One of our friendly claims consultants will contact you as soon as possible.
We hope you don’t experience the stress and inconvenience that a stolen, lost, or damaged phone can cause. Taking out the right insurance may reassure you about covering the costs of phone repairs or replacement.
Want to find out more about our Home Insurance policies?
- 72-hour exclusion period may apply
We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.
- Up to 30% No Claim Bonus – Home
When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your home insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Building or Contents insurance claims in the preceding five years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus.
After each claim-free year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be increased by 10%, to a maximum of 30%. However, for every claim you make in a year, the No Claim Bonus applied to your renewal premium will be reduced by 10% to a minimum of 0%.
The No Claim Bonus discount is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents cover.
This article has been prepared by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL234708 ("Allianz"). In some cases, information has been provided to us by third parties and while that information is believed to be accurate and reliable, its accuracy is not guaranteed in any way.
Any opinions expressed constitute our views at the time of issue and are subject to change. Neither Allianz, nor its employees or directors give any warranty of accuracy or accept responsibility for any loss or liability incurred by you in respect of any error, omission or misrepresentation in this article.
We're here to help
Give us a call, or send us a message
Follow us on
Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.
Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.