Where required by law, we will provide you with privacy information (in the form of a Privacy Notice or other privacy disclosure documentation) which is specific to the products or services you want to obtain from us, or specific to your dealings with us.
Use the links to jump directly to each section to find out more about how we use your personal information:
What is ‘personal information'?
What kinds of personal information do we collect and hold?
How do we collect your personal information?
Website and other data tracking
For what purposes do we collect, hold and use your personal information?
Direct marketing and your privacy
Who do we disclose your personal information to and why?
Disclosure to overseas recipients
How do we hold your personal information?
Protecting your information
Access to and correction of, your personal information
Making a complaint
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
The personal information collected and maintained by Allianz generally includes your name, date of birth, gender and contact details including your address. We will also ask you for information specific to the product or service you decide to purchase from us, such as details of any property or vehicle being insured.
For some policies, we also collect and maintain sensitive information about you. This may include information about your health, genetics, membership of any trade unions or professional associations and any criminal convictions you may have.
There are some circumstances where you can deal with us anonymously, such as when you are only looking for general information about one of our products or services.
If you have applied for employment with us, we collect your name, address, contact details, current and past employment information, educational qualifications and professional associations. We also collect information about and proof of your residency status, the name and contact details of your referees and other information required for recruitment purposes. Where we seek your consent to conduct a background check, we also collect details of your proof of identity from you.
In the recruitment process, we may ask you to answer optional questions about your personal attributes including ethnic background and disability information. This sensitive information will only be collected with your consent, and only for the purpose of understanding the diversity profile of applicants and employees and for internal reporting purposes within Allianz Australia and the Allianz Group.
Top of Page
Where it is possible, we collect your personal information directly from you in person, in writing, over the telephone, through our online services (including our virtual online assistant and any online chat functions) and/or by email and messaging. In some circumstances, we may also collect it from:
- your agents or representatives: for example your insurance broker, your legal advisers, or your family member who applies for a policy that covers you or is instructed by you to deal with us;
- a co-insured on your policy;
- third parties who you have asked to provide your personal information to us, including your referees, your insurer or a financier with an interest in your insured property;
- our related entities’ agents, distributors and service providers (which may also include overseas service providers) and agents or subcontractors of any of those providers;
- other insurers and insurance reference bureaus;
- people who are involved in a claim or assist us in assessing, investigating, processing or settling claims, including another party involved in the claim or third parties claiming under your policy, witnesses, medical service providers or other professional experts, external claims data collectors and verifiers, and your employer;
- third parties who may be arranging insurance cover for a group that you are a part of;
- statutory authorities or government departments: for example, law enforcement, dispute resolution bodies or the Australian Financial Complaints Authority;
- marketing organizations, including through the use of purchased lists;
- industry databases;
- publicly available sources such as the Internet and telephone directories; and/or
- the general public when it is unsolicited and may be relevant to a particular policy or fraud investigation.
Unless we are required or permitted by law to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so by obtaining your consent.
If you start an online quote or application form and you cancel prior to submitting the online quote or application, the information you have entered up to that point will be automatically deleted.
Top of Page
We may collect information about your visit to our website to assist us to measure and improve our website. Examples of information that we collect include: date and time of your visit, whether you have previously visited our website, or if you used a search engine to find us and some geographical information about what country and state you are in.
We use Google Analytics to collect visitor information so that we can better understand how to improve our products and services for you. One of the primary methods used by this tool is cookies. Cookies are small information files that a website visitor’s browser places on their computer when they visit a website. For information on turning off these cookies, please go to the privacy settings section within your browser. In addition to the session cookies, Google Analytics uses other data collection methods such as appending query strings to an image request. We store the data generated by Google Analytics securely and do not share it with third parties.
We also use other external companies for the following purposes:
- for web hosting services for this website; and/or
- to gather non-personal information (using cookies) in order to evaluate the website’s effectiveness, for example online marketing activities..
Top of Page
We collect, hold and use your personal information to provide our products and services, and manage our business. This may include:
- to deal with enquiries;
- to provide a product or service, including:
- providing you with a quote;
- considering your application;
- arranging, verifying and administering insurance;
- assessing risks and underwriting insurance;
- issuing, renewing or amending a policy;
- pricing a policy, offering excesses and discounts;
- assessing, investigating, processing and settling claims, including managing workers compensation return to work programs;
- communicating details about our products and services or marketing our services and products and those of our related companies, brokers, intermediaries and business partners that may interest you;
- conducting customer research and analytics in relation to our service and products, improving our service and products, auditing and quality assurance;
- handling complaints and disputes;
- training our employees, agents and representatives;
- monitoring for quality assurance purposes and security issues;
- conducting competitions, loyalty programs or surveys;
- detecting, investigating and preventing fraud;
- complying with laws;
- identifying and contacting individuals who do business with us;
- assessing and processing employment applications; and
- other purposes communicated to you at the time we collected your personal information or as required or permitted by law.
Personal information (including sensitive information) collected for workers compensation claims will only be used in connection with the business of providing workers compensation claim services or for purposes required by workers compensation regulators or by law.
Top of Page
If you have provided consent we may use your personal information to advise you about or offer you other products or services that may be relevant and of interest to you. Personal Information you or an associated party have provided us will be held on file for marketing purposes until you opt out of receiving such information. If you do not want to receive these offers from us (including product or service offerings from us on behalf of our brokers, intermediaries and/or our business partners), please Contact us or opt-out using the link included on all marketing messages we send you.
In some instances, we may disclose your personal information (but not sensitive information) to others we have business arrangements with. This enables them to offer their products and services to you.
We do not use or disclose sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing.
Top of Page
We may disclose your personal information to others for the purposes specified in the section above. This may include disclosure to:
- our related companies including, overseas subsidiaries of our ultimate holding company, Allianz SE, which provide certain services to us;
- our distributors and agents;
- other insurers and reinsurers;
- credit reporting agencies and insurance reference bureaus;
- government, law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory, regulatory or enforcement bodies and agencies;
- external data collection and verification agencies;
- loss adjusters and assessors;
- repairers and suppliers;
- investigators and recovery agents;
- medical and health service providers, case managers and rehabilitation consultants;
- our advisers (including legal, actuary and accounting advisers) and service providers, including data analytics, marketing organisations and debt collecting agents;
- your employer;
- parties that we have an insurance scheme in place with under which you purchased your policy, such as a financier or motor vehicle manufacturer or dealer;
- the agent and contractor of any of the third parties above;
- your co-insured to confirm full disclosure has been made to us; and/or
- other parties as required by law.
We will not disclose your sensitive information for any purpose, other than the purpose for which it was collected, or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you otherwise consent.
Certain laws also authorise or require us to collect, use and disclose your personal information. These laws include: Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006, Autonomous Sanctions Act 2011, Corporations Act 2001, Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001, Personal Property Securities Act 2009, Income Tax Assessment Act 1997, and A New Tax System (Goods and Services Act) 1999.
Top of Page
In some instances, your personal information may be disclosed to and stored by companies in the Allianz Group, business partners, reinsurers and service providers (including providers of our virtual online assistant and any online chat function) that may be located overseas. The countries in which these recipients may be located will vary from time to time, but includes Canada, Germany, France, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States of America, Singapore and India.
When personal information is shared overseas, there is a possibility whomever receives the information may be required to disclose it under a foreign law.
We regularly review the security of the systems that we use for sending personal information overseas. Any information disclosed may only be used for the purposes of collection as detailed previously and for system administration.
Top of Page
We may hold your personal information in a number of ways, including:
- in our secure computer systems or databases, which may involve storing data on storage or computer systems provided by third party suppliers;
- in paper records; and/or
- in telephone recordings (used for training and verification purposes).
Where it has been collected from our or your agent, or our service providers, they may also hold copies of your personal information.
We may combine personal information we receive about you with other information we hold about you. This includes information received from third parties and information collected for different products and services.
Top of Page
Protecting the personal information we collect is important to us and we take a number of steps to maintain this protection including:
- operating secure buildings and systems;
- working with trusted service providers;
- training our staff on keeping personal information secure; and
- keeping personal information only for as long as we require for our business needs or required by law.
Top of Page
Allianz aims to ensure that your personal information is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. If you would like to access, or revise, your personal information, or feel that the information we currently have on record is incorrect or incomplete, please contact your Allianz office or insurance agent, or via our Contact us page
Top of Page
If you believe that we have not met our privacy obligations in our handling of your personal information, please Contact us or email our Data Privacy Officer.
If you are unhappy with the resolution of your complaint or with the way that Allianz has handled your complaint, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Top of Page
Top of Page