What is Home and Contents insurance?
helps cover you financially in case something happens to the property you own and reside in (known as the building), or your personal belongings inside your home (known as the contents). There are two main types of Home Insurance:
Building insurance covers the physical structures that make up your home building. This includes the house itself, along with your garage, fences, paved driveways, and even fixtures like dishwashers, hot water systems and air conditioners. .
Contents insurance covers the belongings you have in your home. This includes your furniture, curtains, internal blinds and carpets, as well as electrical appliances, and even your clothes, shoes and handbags. .
Most insurers have the ability to combine home and contents cover under one policy. With Allianz, you can save up to 10% when you buy both Building and Contents cover and combine them under the one Home policy1,2.
What events are covered by home and contents insurance?
Home and contents insurance covers loss or damage caused by ‘insured events’ (Sometimes also called ‘defined events’). The list of insured events varies amongst insurers and policies which is why it’s important to check so you know what you’re covered for.
Generally, most home insurance policies cover events such as:
- Fire or smoke
- Theft or burglary
- Storm and cyclone, rainwater or run off
- Water or other liquid damage
- Impact damage
- Earthquake or tsunami
- Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
- Vandalism or malicious damage
- Riots or civil commotion
Your home may or may not be covered by flood damage under your policy, so it’s important to check with your insurance provider if flood cover is included within your policy, as well as if there are any exclusion periods for certain insured events.
What else is included in home and contents insurance?
Here are some of the lesser-known inclusions, or details, you may not be aware of if you take Home and/or Contents insurance out with Allianz:
- If you can’t live in your home which has been damaged by an insured event like bushfires3, we’ll cover the cost of temporary accommodation for you up to 12 months, up to 10% of the buildings or contents sum insured (as applicable) and up to $500 for your pets4.
- If your keys are stolen, or you believe the keys have been copied, we’ll pay up to $1,000 to replace your locks or cylinders on any external doors or windows.
- If you’re found liable to pay compensation to someone because you’ve accidently injured them or damaged their property, you’re covered for up to $20m legal liability cover.
Did you know that under our Home Buildings insurance if your home is totally destroyed by an insured event such as bushfire3:
- You can choose to rebuild in a different location, or you can choose to not rebuild at all if we agree to cover the cost of rebuilding.
- We’ll help with the cost of environmental upgrades such as installing rainwater tanks and solar power systems up to $5,000 after deduction of any government or council rebates if your buildings need to be rebuilt5.
Did you know that under our Contents insurance:
- If you can’t live in your home because of damage caused by an insured event (such as a storm) we'll pay up to the remaining balance of the contents sum insured after payment of claim to move and store your undamaged contents for the time necessary, up to 12 months.
- If your cat or dog is injured in a road accident, we’ll pay up to $500 in any one period of insurance for related veterinary expenses.
- If your fridge or freezer breaks down and you lose your perishable food or medicine, we’ll cover the cost to replace it. If the spoilage is due to a natural disaster (declared by Allianz, the government or the Insurance Council of Australia), we’ll pay up to $500.
- You can also claim for loss or damage to property that belongs to your guests, visitors or domestic helpers caused by an insured event that you’re claiming for up to $5,000.
This is a summary only of some of the features and benefits available on Allianz Home Insurance, as well as some of the exclusions. Before deciding on a policy, carefully consider the relevant (where applicable) which set out the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.
Tailoring home insurance with optional cover
If a standard home insurance policy doesn’t quite meet your needs, you can choose to customise your cover by adding optional covers usually for an additional premium. Check your Product Disclosure Statement for what is available to be added as an optional cover.
Some of the optional cover Allianz provides include:
If eligible, this covers your building and contents for loss or damage caused by:
- Flood water, combined with run-off and rainwater
As well as loss or damage caused by or arising from the following, if it’s caused directly by and occurs within 72 hours of a flood:
- Soil movement, including erosion
Portable contents cover
covers your portable items (e.g. wallets, glasses, jewellery, cameras and mobile phones6) from loss or damage outside the home. The loss could be caused by theft or an accident. This is valid Australia-wide or for up to 120 days worldwide when you’re temporarily outside Australia.
This covers you for accidental damage caused by sudden, unforeseen and unintended events. This isn’t limited to specified insured events and automatically includes motor burnout.
This covers you if an electrical current damages your domestic household electrical motors, such as your fridge, freezer or washing machine, up to 10 years old.
What insurance is available for renters?
What insurance is there to consider for an investment property?
While purchasing a property and intending to use it as an investment rather than a place to live is a great way to meet personal financial goals, investing in landlord insurance can help to reduce the risks that come with an investment property.
How much Home Insurance is needed?
Keeping receipts, photos and even serial numbers of your belongings, and storing them somewhere safe (e.g. digitally), is a great habit to get into. Not only will it help you work out how much to insure for, but it will also come in handy if you need to make a claim.
You can also use a to help you estimate how much insurance you need. Using the latest replacement cost information, a good home insurance calculator will help you conveniently estimate the value of your home and contents without hassle.
Want to find out more about our Home Insurance?
This article has been prepared by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL234708 ("Allianz"). In some cases, information has been provided to us by third parties and while that information is believed to be accurate and reliable, its accuracy is not guaranteed in any way.
Any opinions expressed constitute our views at the time of issue and are subject to change. Neither Allianz, nor its employees or directors give any warranty of accuracy or accept responsibility for any loss or liability incurred by you in respect of any error, omission or misrepresentation in this article.
We're here to help
Give us a call, or send us a message
1. Combined Discounts
A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional cover.
2. Minimum premiums may apply
Any discounts may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent that any minimum premium isn't reached. If you’re eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means the effect of applying any subsequent discount will be reduced.
For example, the aggregate effect of applying two discounts consecutively means that you won't see the full benefit of both these discounts.
Discounts don't apply to taxes or government charges. No discounts are applied to the optional cover: Domestic Workers Compensation (if available and selected).
3. 72-hour exclusion period may apply
We don’t provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant
4. Alternative accommodation
Covers weekly equivalent rent. Up to 10% of Building or Contents sum insured, up to a maximum of 12 months and up to $500 for your pets.
This is an extra benefit we pay in addition to your building sum insured. We don’t pay additional alternative accommodation costs under the contents section if we’ve paid it under the buildings section. No excess applies to this benefit.
5. Making your home building environmentally friendly
These are extra benefits we pay in addition to your building sum insured. No excess applies to these benefits.
6. Portable Contents
Some portable contents must be specified on your policy schedule as Listed Portable Contents to be covered.
Follow us on
Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.
Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.