NSW Car Insurance

Find out why NSW drivers choose us as their Car Insurance Provider

The information on this page is for customers who purchased a new policy on or after 9 September 2021.
For customers who purchased a new policy before this date, view the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)

We offer Comprehensive Car Insurance, Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance, and Compulsory Third Party Insurance in NSW. Comprehensive Car Insurance is our only cover that insures your car for accidental damage, including road accidents, theft, storm, hail, flood, cyclone, and bushfire. Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP), also known as a Green Slip in NSW, is mandatory and is required before you can register your vehicle. Third Party Property Damage can cover you if you accidentally cause damage to someone else’s car or property but doesn’t cover you for damage to your own car.

Whether you live in Sydney, Newcastle, Broken Hill, Byron Bay, or Albury, we’re behind you for what’s ahead.

Find out more about the types of coverage we offer, get a quote online or speak to one of our insurance specialists today.

Our Comprehensive Car Insurance covers your car, plus damage you cause to other people’s cars or property.
This helps cover the cost of accidentally damaging someone else’s car or property. Damage to your own car is not covered.
Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is a mandatory policy that generally covers anyone who drives your vehicle (including yourself) for injuries caused to others in an at-fault motor accident.
Our Comprehensive Car Insurance customers rated their claim experience 4.3 out of 5 over the last year. See more about what our customers had to say.
“Prompt and proactive communication, especially with respect to excess payments and replacement hire car”
– Stephen, NSW.
At Allianz, we’ve worked through claims data in New South Wales to highlight common claims which occurred in 2023.
With the highest population by state, we’ve seen that 8% of claims* is the result of being hit in the rear. 3.8% of claims relate directly to changing lanes and failing to give right of way. With high levels or traffic and busy traffic routes throughout the state, it’s important to always be aware of other drivers merging and switching lanes.
In the last year we’ve seen that 7.8% claims have been a result of cars being damaged while parked. This highlights the importance, where possible to park away from congested roads or in a secure carpark.
Types of car insurance claims lodged in New South Wales. Collision with vehicle 11.7%, hit in rear 8.2%, windscreen 21.2%, hit object (wall, fence, post etc) 7.2%, reverse 7.1%, damaged while parked 7.8%, right of way (failed to give way) 5.8%, other 21.5%, change lanes 3.8%, hail 5.7%.
* Total claims of the top 10 types
In NSW, you’ll need to purchase NSW Compulsory Third Party Insurance otherwise known as CTP or a ‘Green Slip’ before you can register your car. You can also choose to cover your car for accidental loss and damage as well as damage you may cause to other people’s property with our Comprehensive Car Insurance. If you're looking for cover only for damage you may cause to other people’s property consider our Third Party Property Damage Insurance.

Treating injuries caused by a car accident can be expensive. While both medical treatment and care can be costly, there could also be other unexpected expenses. If someone is injured, they may not be able to work and might have to be compensated for lost income. They might also be entitled to extra compensation for pain and suffering.

Not everyone will be able to pay these costs, so Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP) is required to be purchased by all vehicle owners to make sure that people who have been hurt by someone else in a motor vehicle accident can still get financial support during their recovery if they need it.

In NSW, CTP insurance also provides a level of compensation to you or any other driver of your vehicle if injured and at fault in an accident.

Each insurance company calculates the cost of car insurance differently.

The cost of Allianz Comprehensive and Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance is determined by a range of factors. When calculating your car insurance premium, we consider factors such as:

  • The type of cover you hold
  • The age, driving experience and claims history of the person who drives the car most
  • The year, make, and model of your car
  • The location your car is parked

You can get your quote online for our Comprehensive Car Insurance and Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance.

  1. Driver exclusions apply if the driver is unlicensed, is not following the conditions of their license, refuses a drug or alcohol test, is under the influence of drugs or exceeds the legally allowed alcohol limit. Refer to the Comprehensive Car Insurance or Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance PDS for full driver, usage and other policy exclusions as set out in the "What's not covered" section. An additional excess applies to drivers under 25.
  2. We'll arrange a rental car of a similar size and type to your car after a covered collision where you are not at fault and have provided us with the at fault person's details. You'll get the rental car for as long as it takes to either fix your car, pay you the cost of repairs, or determine if your car is a total loss. If a rental car of a similar size and type (e.g. medium SUV) to your car is not available, we will pay you a travel allowance of $50 a day for as long as we would have given you a rental car. See the PDS for more details.
  3. If you choose your own repairer, we may need a second quote from another repairer chosen by us just to make sure the quote you’ve received is reasonable. We may then authorise repairs, pay you reasonable repair costs or the car’s agreed value or replace your new car where policy conditions are met.
Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.