Home & Contents Insurance

Get my quote in 2 mins
Retrieve a quote »

Save up to 10% online +
Save up to an extra 10% when you combine covers

  • Save up to 10% on your first year’s premium when you buy a new building and/or contents policy online1,4
  • Save up to an extra 10% when you buy both new Home and Contents cover under the one policy2,4

What is Home and Contents Insurance?

Allianz Home and Contents insurance lets you conveniently combine both building and contents insurance on the one policy. Home and Contents insurance covers the cost of repair or replacement, to your building and belongings when loss or damage is caused by break-ins, fires, natural events such as storms and bushfire5, impact damage such as a fallen tree, as well as accidental breakage of glass and more. Flood cover5 may be available as an optional cover. Plus, it can help provide financial protection if you are found liable to pay compensation following an accident, or a series of accidents at your home that has caused death, bodily injury, illness to other people and/or damage to their property.

Home Insurance

Protects the physical structures that make up your home building, from the house itself, to your garage, fences, and paved driveways and even fixtures like showers and baths, hot water systems, air conditioners and more.

  • Suitable if you own a non-strata home - like a house, townhouse, terrace or semi-detached dwelling.
  • The amount you choose to insure your building for is called the building sum insured.

Contents Insurance

Protects the belongings you have at the insured address, from your furniture, carpet and electrical appliances to your BBQ and even clothes, shoes and handbags.

  • Suitable regardless of the type of property you live in, for example an apartment or a house.
  • The amount you choose to insure your contents for is called the contents sum insured.

Get my quote in 2 mins

Fast, Simple and Convenient

Up to 30% No Claims Bonus3,4

When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claims Bonus based on your home insurance claims history from the last 5 years.

Option to Pay Monthly

You have the option to pay by the month or in one annual payment.
If you choose to pay by the month, an 11% service fee applies.

Instant Insurance Certificate

Your proof of insurance, Certificate of Currency (COC), will be emailed instantly after you purchase your policy.
Tip: A COC is often required by your bank or financier when you take out a mortgage on your home.

Excellence in claims

We're here if you need to make a claim. You can lodge a claim 24/7 online or call 13 10 13.
Allianz was awarded the 2019 Mansfield Gold Award for Overall Excellence in Claims.

What does Home and Contents Insurance cover?
This is a summary only of some of the features available on Allianz Home Insurance. Before making a decision on this insurance, please carefully consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Supplementary PDS (where applicable) which set out the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.

Legal Liability Cover

Up to $20m legal liability cover.
Covers you financially if you are liable to pay compensation for injuries to other people and/or damage to their property that occurred at your home.

Alternative Accommodation

If your home building and or contents are damaged by an insured event during the period of insurance to such an extent, where we agree that you can’t live in it, we’ll pay the temporary rental costs for accommodation for you and your pets for the period it reasonably takes, to repair or rebuild your home.7

Rebuilding Costs

If you need to rebuild your home due to a total loss or damage, we'll help pay the costs8 of:

  • Professional fees of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors (up to $5,000) and;
  • Costs of complying with any statutory requirements (up to $5,000).

Additional Cover Benefits

Optional Covers Simply select the options while getting your quote online or while speaking to our consultants.
If you already have a policy and would like to add optional covers, please contact us on 13 1000.

Did you know? Your contents are only covered at your insured address unless you take out portable contents cover.

Portable Contents

Covers loss or damage to your portable items (such as wallets, glasses, jewelry, cameras and mobile phones) caused by theft or an accident Australia-wide or anywhere in the world when you are temporarily outside Australia for up to 120 days.

There are two cover types to choose from.


Covers you for loss or damage to your home and contents caused by flood and certain flood related events.

Cover is excluded in some areas. A 72 hour claim exclusion period applies from purchase date or when cover is increased under an existing policy.

Accidental Damage

Covers you for accidental damage caused by sudden, unforeseen and unintended events, not just the specified insured events. This option automatically includes Motor Burnout.

Motor Burnout

Covers you if an electrical current damages your household electrical motors, such as your fridge, freezer or washing machine, up to 10 years old.

This is a summary only of some of the features available on Allianz Home Insurance. Before making a decision on this insurance, please carefully consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Supplementary PDS (where applicable) which set out the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.

Home Insurance Calculators

When you take out home and/or contents insurance, it’s important that the amount you’re insured for accurately reflects the cost to rebuild your home and/or replace your belongings. This is because you might have to pay the difference out of your own pocket if you’re insured for less than the replacement value of your home and contents.

Home Building replacement calculator

Home Contents replacement calculator

What events does Home and Contents Insurance cover?

Covers the cost of rebuilding or replacing your Home and/or Contents, if you have experienced loss or damage caused by the following insured events^.

  • Fire or smoke (including bushfires and grassfires)5
  • Theft or burglary
  • Storm & cyclone5, rainwater or run off
  • Lightning
  • Water damage or other liquid damage

  • Earthquake or tsunami
  • Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items
  • Vandalism or malicious damage
  • Explosion
  • Riots or civil commotion

^For a full list of events covered by Allianz Home Insurance, see the relevant PDS.

Next steps

Get a quick quote in 2 mins

Our online system is available day and night so you can sign up and manage your cover whenever it suits you.

Get my quote

Go Paperless – update your details

Opt to receive your insurance documents instantly via email and help protect the environment at the same time.

Go paperless

Lodge a Claim 24/7

If you need to make a claim on your home or contents insurance, you can choose to lodge a claim online or call 13 10 13 to speak to one of our friendly claims consultants.

Lodge a claim

Frequently Asked Questions

The cost of your insurance is called a ‘premium’. Your premium will depend on a number of factors, and can change each year when you renew your policy. Your premium for each period of insurance will be shown on your policy schedule.

There are a number of factors that determine how your Home and Contents insurance premium is calculated, including:

  • Your risk profile. We work this out using a number factors such as:
    • where you live
    • the type of property you’re insuring
    • the amount and type of cover you require
    • any other people also insured under the policy
    • the relevant claims history of the people being insured
    • the likelihood of a claim being made on your policy
  • Any discounts that may apply.
  • Any compulsory government charges such as Stamp Duty and GST.
  • Fire Services Levy if they apply to the State or Territory where your home is located.
  • Any other charges we tell you of.
  • The excess you choose.

To find out the cost of insuring your building and/or contents through Allianz, go online and get a quick Home and Contents insurance quote in 2 minutes today!

Your building and contents can be covered for flood-related damage if you take out optional Flood cover. Your building and contents, under flood cover, will be covered for:

Loss or damage caused by:

  • flood
  • flood water, combined with run-off and rainwater.

As well as loss or damage caused by or arising from the following, if it is caused directly by and occurs within 72 hours of a flood:

  • soil movement, including erosion
  • landslide
  • mudslide
  • subsidence

To find out if you are eligible for Flood cover, get an online quote or call us on 13 10 00.

If you currently hold a policy and would like to find out whether your Building and Contents insurance policy currently has Flood cover, you can log onto MyAllianz to check your policy documentation or call us on 13 10 00. Please note we do not provide cover for claims during the first 72 hours after you first purchase or add optional Flood cover.

With Allianz there are a number of ways that you may save on your home and/or contents insurance premium, including:

  • Buy your new building and/or contents policy online and save up to 10% on your first year’s premium.1,4
  • Combine your building and contents cover together on the one policy and save up to 10%.2,4 (Compared to purchasing each cover as a standalone cover).
  • Pay your premium annually rather than monthly to save on the 11% monthly service fee.
  • Increase your excess: our policies come with flexible excess levels, giving you the option to increase your excess which could reduce your premium.4,6

You should tell Allianz immediately if during the period of insurance your building is in the course of construction or there are any alterations, additions, demolition, repairs to, or decorations of the building costing more than $75,000. If you don’t, Allianz may not pay a claim in whole or in part under the policy to the extent permitted by law.

When Allianz receive this information, we may:

  • propose changes to the terms and conditions of your policy
  • charge you a higher premium
  • cancel your policy
  • decide not to offer to renew your policy

Home insurance covers you against financial losses associated with the damage or loss of the property you own. Home insurance is not a legal requirement; however if you have a mortgage on your property, most banks and mortgage lenders require you to purchase Home insurance as security to safeguard themselves against financial risk caused by unexpected damage or loss to your property. Lenders may require you to list them as an interested party when buying insurance and may also request proof of insurance (Certificate of Currency) before the loan is finalised or for each year your mortgage is held with them.

To request a Certificate of Currency for your existing Allianz Home Insurance policy call us on 13 1000 or you can log onto MyAllianz.

Here’s a list of some of the things we don’t cover under a Home and Contents policy:

  • If you leave your home unoccupied for any period longer than of 60 consecutive days, unless otherwise agreed in writing.

Loss, damage, injury or legal liability due to the following:

  • If you fail to keep your home or contents in good condition. This includes wear and tear, and lack of maintenance.
  • Pre-existing damage to your home or contents.
  • Flooding; unless you have added the optional flood cover to your policy.
  • You carry out alterations, additions, demolition, repairs or decorations to your building with a commercial value of more than $75,000.
  • Damage deliberately caused by you, a family member or someone acting with your consent.
  • Holiday letting.
  • Anything not directly related to one of the insured events. Please refer to the PDS for a list of insured events.

This is a summary only of some of the exclusions on Allianz Home Insurance. Before making a decision on this insurance, please carefully consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Supplementary PDS (where applicable) which set out the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.

This cover option allows you to insure items which you wear or carry with you outside your home (such as a handbag, wallet, sunglasses, jewellery or a musical instrument). You can choose from two types of portable contents cover – unlisted or listed – or you can choose both.

Unlisted portable contents

This option allows you to select a per item limit and per claim limit, e.g. up to $2,000 per item and $7,500 per claim. This means you do not have to specifically list an item. However, this option does not cover items such as laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology.

Listed portable contents

This cover option allows you to cover specific portable options for their full value (less any excess). Electronic devices including laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other wearable technology can be covered as listed portable items.

Here are some examples of the sort of mishaps you’ll be covered for if you take this option:

If you have Building cover

  • You accidentally smash a hole in the wall when you move some furniture.
  • Your kids draw all over your walls.

If you have Contents cover

  • You spill red wine on the new white carpet or lounge.

We’ll extend cover for your contents anywhere in Australia for up to 90 continuous days in one period of insurance.

If you take both Building and Contents insurance here’s how these covers can work together if you suffer an insured loss:

  • Your house burns down - you could lose your building, and everything in it. With adequate sums insured under Building and Contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
  • A fire damages your kitchen - you could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as benchtops, with Home Building insurance. Then you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your Contents insurance policy.
  • A thief smashes your window, breaks the locks and steals your belongings. You can fix the window and locks through your Building insurance and replace the items that were stolen under your Contents insurance.

Plus, you will only have to pay one excess if your building and contents are damaged by the same insured event.

For terms, conditions and exclusions about our home insurance, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). To see some of the events covered and not covered, please refer to our Key Fact Sheets (KFS).