Frequently Asked questions

Allianz Car Insurance
Retrieve a quote »


A driver with an overseas licence is covered on your policy so long as they abide by the laws and driving regulations of the state or territory which they will be driving in.

In Australia, laws and driving regulations differ from state to state. Some states require you to carry an International Licence with your current foreign licence. Other states request you carry your current foreign driver's licence together with a formal translation of your licence into English.

In most Australian states and territories (the exception is the Northern Territory), you are able to drive on an overseas licence as long as it is current. You can only drive vehicles which your overseas licence authorises you to drive and you must drive according to any conditions on your overseas licence.

You do not have to advise us that a driver using your car is in possession of an overseas licence, however it is important to let us know about anybody that you know of who will drive your car and have them listed on your policy. This will assist with avoiding any unlisted driver excesses that may apply in the event of a claim and ensure that all drivers are covered by your policy. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.

Your insurance premium takes into account various factors, including, for example, the costs of fixing your car in the event of a claim. This cost will vary depending on whether the car must be replaced if it is a total loss or if it can be repaired. Whilst the value of most cars will decrease over time (lowering the replacement cost) these total loss claims occur much less frequently than accidental damage claims. Accidental damage claims require the car to be repaired and the cost of this usually increases each year in line with increases in the cost of parts, paint and labour. Therefore, completing the same repair to the same car will probably cost more in future years, even though the value of the car may reduce.

For a detailed explanation of what a Safe Driver Star Rating is and what Star Rating Protection is, see the Premium, Excess, Discount and Options Guide (PED)

Cover for damaged windscreens is provided by your Allianz Comprehensive Car insurance policy, subject to any applicable excess listed in your policy schedule or in your PDS.

We also offer an option for the removal of basic excess on windscreen claims1. If you have selected this option, you are covered for the removal of basic the excess for windscreen cover, you will not need to pay the basic excess if the broken windscreen is the only damage to your vehicle. This covers 1 replacement and 2 repairs in any period of insurance. For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.

In addition to the basic excess, he/she will also be required to pay the relevant age excess for drivers listed in your policy schedule. All excesses are displayed on our car insurance policy schedule

Comprehensive Car Insurance insures your vehicle against accidental loss or damage in events such as accidents, theft, vandalism, fire2, hail2, storm, or flood2 damage. Plus it can cover your vehicle for the damage caused to another person’s vehicle or property while using your vehicle.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance generally covers the driver of your vehicle for injuries they may have caused to other road users in a motor accident.

Third Party Property Damage generally can cover your vehicle for damage cause to someone else’s vehicle or property while using your vehicle but doesn’t cover for damage to your vehicle.

Unless we state otherwise in the PDS, when you make a claim under the policy, you will need to pay one or more excesses which is an amount you must pay as a contribution toward your claim.

The amount and type of excess(s) you have to pay will be shown in your policy schedule or in your PDS.

For full details of conditions and exclusions please refer to your policy schedule and the relevant PDS and PED guide.

Updating your insurance policy

It is important to list all drivers on your policy. If the driver is not listed on the policy and you need to make a claim you may need to pay an age excess if they are under 25 or an unnamed driver excess where the Named Driver option is selected.

For full details of the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions please refer to the relevant PDS.

In the event that your son/daughter is involved in an accident in your vehicle and is not listed as a nominated driver on your insurance, he/she may have to pay a higher ‘Age excess’ for drivers not listed on your policy schedule in addition to the basic excess and any other excess that applies, on condition that Allianz chooses to accept the claim. If they were listed on the policy, you would pay a lower “Age excess” in addition to the Basic excess and any other excess that applies.
No. Learner drivers are automatically covered provided the instructing driver meets the policy criteria as set out in your schedule and PDS and state requirements.
To have a non-standard accessory - such as a music player - covered under your car insurance policy, you need to let Allianz know the value of the accessory. You need to do this for all non-standard accessories as well as modifications that you have made to the vehicle to ensure you are covered in the event of a car insurance claim. Remember to also keep a record of your purchases.
Unless they are listed on your car insurance policy, we are unable to provide any information nor can they action any requests on your behalf. Please contact our staff on 13 1000 to discuss what is involved in providing them access to your car insurance policy.