Moving interstate: NSW car registration and insurance

 Last updated August 2, 2022
If you’re moving interstate to or from NSW, you must register your car in your new state or territory of residence.
From Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP), to safety checks and registration requirements, completing the transfer process can be complicated. In this article, we cover the most important things to know when transferring your registration to or from NSW.
If you’re moving to NSW and are planning to stay longer than 90 days, you’ll need to transfer your car registration. You must  go through several steps before your vehicle can be registered in NSW, so it’s a good idea to start this process early.

CTP, also known as a "green slip", is a mandatory insurance that covers your legal liability for injuries caused while driving. In NSW, you must purchase your CTP cover before you can register your car. When you purchase your CTP insurance, make sure it meets the following requirements:

  • Purchased from a registered NSW CTP insurance provider, such as Allianz
  • Issued for 12 months
  • Issued without number plate details (for interstate plates only)

If you have existing comprehensive or third-party property damage car insurance, you’ll also need to let your insurer know that you’re changing address. 

Before registration, you’ll need to have your car inspected at an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station. If your car passes the inspection, you’ll be given a blue slip report. This inspection can’t be more than 42 days before you register your car.

Next, you’ll need to visit a Service NSW Centre to lodge your application for NSW registration. According to the Service NSW website, to transfer your registration you’ll need the following:

  • Photo identification
  • Proof of your registration entitlement: for example, Certificate of Registration, renewal notice or other registration, Motor Dealer Warranty form, Motor Dealer sales contract or proof of purchase
  • A completed Application for Registration Form (PDF, 257KB)
  • Your CTP green slip insurance policy receipt
  • Your blue slip report 
  • Your previous number plates
  • You may also need other documents if you’re registering a modified vehicle or a trailer

Your number plates will be transferred and new plates provided at the time of registration. If you need to register a change of address for your licence, or transfer your licence, you can also arrange this at a Service NSW Centre.

So, what do you need to do with your NSW car registration and insurance when you move interstate? When transferring your car registration from NSW, you’ll need to follow the process in your new state or territory of residence. This differs throughout Australia, so be sure to check the exact requirements. Here are the most common steps:

No matter what state you’re moving to, you’ll still need CTP insurance before you can register your vehicle. Depending on the state, this will be provided by either a private insurer that has been licenced by the state government to issue CTP insurance, or by a state-owned insurer.

The process of obtaining CTP insurance differs by state. In some states, such as QLD, you will be required to purchase CTP insurance from an approved insurer prior to applying for registration. In others, such as SA, you can nominate your CTP insurer and pay for your CTP insurance at the same time as you pay your vehicle registration. 

In VIC, where the choice of CTP insurer is not available, the cost of CTP insurance will simply be included in the cost of your vehicle’s registration. Check the requirements in your new state before you apply for registration.

If you have existing comprehensive or third-party property damage car insurance, you’ll need to let your insurer know that you’re changing address. Alternatively, you can choose to purchase your comprehensive car insurance from your new CTP insurance provider instead.

In most states, you’ll need a vehicle safety check before you can apply for registration. Whether or not a check is required can depend on the details of your vehicle, such as its age, whether it has been modified, and whether it was previously registered in another state.

Once you have everything you need, it’s time to transfer your registration. Along with the option to lodge your transfer in person, many states allow you to submit your registration online. You’ll either receive your new licence plates at the time of registration, or they’ll be sent to your address. In most states, you also have to update your licence details within 90 days.

Moving your car interstate can be a complex process, but we can help make CTP insurance simple. Call us on 13 1000 for help with this, or get a NSW CTP insurance quote online.

This article has been prepared by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL234708 ("Allianz"). In some cases, information has been provided to us by third parties and while that information is believed to be accurate and reliable, its accuracy is not guaranteed in any way. 

Any opinions expressed constitute our views at the time of issue and are subject to change. Neither Allianz, nor its employees or directors give any warranty of accuracy or accept responsibility for any loss or liability incurred by you in respect of any error, omission or misrepresentation in this article.

Allianz acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we live and work across Australia. We pay our respect to First Nations Elders past and present.

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website. We do not provide any form of advice if you call us to enquire about or purchase a product.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered, and Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered. Each entity is responsible for any statements and representations made about its products, on this website.