What is insurance for Trades and Contractors?

As a tradie, you may be called to work on projects of all different types. However, no matter the task your job centres around three essentials: your workmanship, your tools, and your vehicle. Since you work for yourself, it’s important that you take the time to protect your business and its assets in the event of a legal claim for compensation, loss, theft or accidental damage.

Tradies and contractors face a variety of risks and hazards - from stolen tools and equipment, to property damage, and third party injury onsite. Getting the right cover can help protect your business if things go wrong.

Whether you’re an electrician, plumber, carpenter, tiler or handyman, understanding and finding the right insurance can be confusing. Read on to learn about Allianz insurance covers that could help protect your business.

Fast, Simple and Convenient

Instant Insurance Certificate

Your proof of insurance (Certificate of Currency) will be emailed instantly after purchase.

Pay by the Month - no extra charge*1

Enjoy paying monthly and at no extra cost.

Specialist Business Experts

Our experts can give general advice and help to arrange your business insurance. Call 1300 131 000 to talk to a business specialist.

Claims - we have your back

When misfortune strikes, Allianz is there for you. Lodge a claim by phone 24/7.

Trades and Contractors Insurance Covers:

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance, also known as Public and Products Liability insurance, helps to protect you if you become liable to pay compensation for injury to third parties, or damage to their property, during the course of your work.

Whether you’re on the job, or dealing with clients and suppliers, there’s always a risk that accidents may happen in connection to your work, such as a customer tripping over your tools and getting injured.

Public Liability insurance is designed to cover claims that may arise as a result of incidents such as this for which you may be held liable. Cover may also be provided for reasonable legal costs you incur in defending a claim against you

Public Liability is a compulsory cover that must be included in a Business Insurance Pack policy.

Show more

Commercial Vehicle Insurance4

As a tradie, your van or ute is likely to be one of the most expensive things you use in your business, so it’s important to protect it.

Comprehensive Commercial Vehicle insurance can protect your vehicle in the event of accidental damage or theft, and cover your legal liability for damage to third party property caused by your vehicle. You can choose from a range of cover levels including Comprehensive, Fire and Theft or Third Party Property Damage only.

Helpful Tip: Do you use your personal vehicle for business purposes? Your personal car insurance may not cover you for damage to other cars or your own vehicle that occurs when used in connection with your business. Check your personal car policy to see if you are covered

Call Allianz to cover up to 20 vehicles by calling 1300 131 000, or buy online and add up to 2 vehicles, when you buy your Public and Products Liability insurance with a Business Insurance Pack.

Show more

General Property Insurance

General Property insurance can protect your tools and specialist equipment in the event of accidental damage in any location worldwide. This can include items at client’s sites, or even those taken home by your employees.

Your drills, saws, tile cutters, tools and equipment are essential to your success on the job. If any of these are stolen or accidentally damaged this could not only leave you out of pocket, but also facing the cost of temporary rentals or replacements to complete your work.

Show more

Get your cover in one place with our Business Insurance Pack

Our packs start with Public Liability, then you can customise yours to suit your business.

Public Liability

In the event of a claim, this cover can protect you if you become legally liable to pay compensation for injury to third parties, or damage to their property, during the course of your work.

Additional Cover Options

Commercial Vehicle

Commercial Vehicle Insurance can protect your vehicle in the event of accidental damage or theft, and cover your legal liability for damage to third party caused by your vehicle.


Covers the cost of repairing or replacing accidentally broken glass at your business premises such as store windows, mirrors or display cabinets

Commercial Property

Cover for accidental damage to property insured, such as your store fitout and stock, from unexpected events like a storm, fire or vandalism.

Machinery Breakdown

Covers the cost to replace or repair business machinery if it suffers a breakdown, such as electrical and mechanical machinery, boilers and pressure vessels and pressure pipe systems.

Business Interruption

Covers your lost income, profits or turnover if your store has to close as a result of unforeseen defined events, like severe storm or fire.


Cover for loss caused by theft of property insured from your store, such as your stock or equipment.


Covers the replacement money is stolen from your business premises during business hours, or outside business hours, while locked in a safe or strongroom, in transit or in custody at a private residence.

This is a limited summary of some of our Business Insurance Pack covers only. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. For full details and before making a decision please consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS (where applicable) & PDS update (privacy notice) which are available on this website

Workers Compensation

If your business has employees, Workers Compensation insurance may be mandatory depending on the state/s you operate in. Workers Compensation insurance can cover your employees if they are involved in a workplace accident. Allianz will work to support your business through the claims management process.

Please note that Workers Compensation insurance is not available under the Business Insurance Pack and will need to be purchased as an additional policy.

Learn more

Before you buy

Considerations for Trades and Contractors:

  • If you’re working as a contractor, your contract may state the minimum amount of Public and Product Liability insurance you’re required to have – check what you need before you purchase cover.
  • Building subcontractors may not be covered under a general workers compensation insurance policy held by the person they are working for. In addition a subcontractor’s work may not be covered for liability by the primary contractor. Check whether you’re protected, and consider taking action to cover any insurance gaps.
More cover options

Can’t find the cover that you need online? We have an extended range of insurance covers available through our team of specialists. We're open 8:00am - 7:30pm Monday-Friday AEST

   1300 131 000

We Provide Business
Insurance for: