Nominate Allianz

Renew Registration

Make a claim

SA CTP insurance cover

Generally Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP) covers your liability and the liability of anyone else who drives your vehicle for injuries that might be caused to other road users in a motor vehicle accident. CTP insurance is required before you can register your vehicle.

SA CTP insurance

What is covered?

CTP insurance provides the following cover Australia-wide, 24 hours a day:

  • Injuries caused to passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users, including drivers who are not at fault.
  • Injuries caused through the use of a trailer when attached to a registered vehicle.


  • Does not cover damage to vehicles or other property.
  • Compensation may be reduced for victims who ignore certain basic road rules.
  • Does not compensate an injured driver that is entirely at fault.

An insured person may not be entitled to cover if the insured person breaches the statutory warranties under the statutory CTP policy of insurance for example, driving while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. A copy of the policy of insurance is available here.

Choosing your insurer

Drivers are free to choose a CTP insurer when renewing their vehicle registration.

All four Government approved insurers' CTP premiums and claimant survey ratings appear on your registration renewal notice to help with this choice. For more information, visit the SA CTP Insurance Regulator.

Why choose Allianz for your SA CTP insurance?

Allianz is one of the largest CTP insurers in Australia. Why not make the switch today to find out why the drivers of around 2 million vehicles in Australia are covered by Allianz CTP insurance

  • SA based team of CTP claims specialists
  • 2 million CTP customers Australia-wide
  • Allianz voted Australian General Insurer of the Year 2019 and won Large General Insurance Company of the Year 2016-2018.
  • Allianz voted Employer of Choice for Gender Equality since 2009
  • The confidence that comes with being insured by one of the world's leading insurers

Frequently Asked Questions

The name of your current CTP Insurer appears on your registration renewal notice, under the Your Details section (which appears near the top-right corner of the notice).

Alternatively, you can use the EzyReg system or call the CTP Regulator Enquiries Line on 1300 303 558.

You can choose to insure with Allianz at the time you renew your vehicle’s registration by:

  1. Tick-a-box: Registration renewal notices will include a list of all CTP insurers along with their corresponding price and claimant survey rating. You need to simply tick the box of your desired insurer when renewing your registration at a DPTI office.

  2. Online nomination: If you are renewing your registration online, you will be provided with the choice of insurers along with their price and claimant survey rating.

The CTP Regulator conducts periodic claimant surveys. Claimants are surveyed approximately three months after lodging a claim, and include claimants that are receiving legal representation. The survey questions focus on Responsiveness, Information Usability, Staff Professionalism and Communication. The survey results in the calculation of a published claimant satisfaction score, expressed as a percentage, which is displayed on registration renewal documents next to each approved insurer.

The SA CTP Insurance Regulator sets a maximum and a minimum price that can be charged for CTP insurance for each type of vehicle. CTP insurers are free to set their prices anywhere within this range. The maximum and minimum prices may vary from time to time likely due to changes in economic factors and/or the cost of CTP claims across the industry. Your CTP premium will be shown on your registration renewal notice.

To learn more about premiums and how they are set, visit the SA CTP Insurance Regulator.

You can renew your registration online, visit EzyReg.

You can also visit a Service SA Centre with your registration renewal notice.

If you have any other questions about renewing registration, you can call DPTI on 1300 361 021 or visit their website.

If you choose Allianz as your CTP insurer, the Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure (DPTI) sends Allianz daily transaction files with all the relevant policy, vehicle registration and payment information. It is then uploaded into our system, to create a policy record for each vehicle.

Questions about CTP Insurance?

Generally CTP Insurance covers your liability and the liability of anyone who drives your vehicle for any injuries that might be caused to other road users in any accident.

For more information about CTP insurance, please visit

Generally Compulsory Third Party (CTP) personal injury insurance covers injury caused to third parties when you or the person driving your vehicle is the driver at fault in an accident. Third parties include your passengers and other road users, such as drivers, passengers of other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, motor cyclists and pillion passengers.

In some circumstances, the CTP compensation paid to the injured person may be recovered from you if, for example, you:

  • Drove an unregistered vehicle;
  • Were under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • Were speeding or driving dangerously;
  • Intentionally caused injury;
  • Drove a vehicle without the owner's permission;
  • Don't hold a current driver's licence; or
  • Drove an unroadworthy or overloaded vehicle.

The money recovered from you may include injury compensation and claims' management costs.

No, CTP Insurance does not cover damage to your vehicle, other vehicles or property. It is necessary to take out separate car insurance in order to be covered for these events.

To find out more about other Allianz car insurance options, please click here.

If you suffer injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident and it is shown that another driver was ‘at fault’, you may be entitled to make a claim for damages against the other driver’s CTP insurance policy. However your damages will be reduced by the degree to which you were at fault.

If you are a driver totally at fault in the accident, you will not be entitled to claim any benefits under your SA CTP Policy. However, if your injuries are severe, you may be entitled to make a claim under the government’s Lifetime Support Scheme. For more information on the eligibility requirements of this Scheme, go to

For more information on who can make a claim please visit

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure issues CTP insurance renewal notices, and provides premium collection services as part of the vehicle registration process. While it is not necessary to contact Allianz to renew your CTP policy, we are available to answer any questions you might have. Simply call us on 1300 686 725.

CTP claims process

Questions about the CTP claims process? Click here to find out more.