Call us on 13 1000

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

MAC is the Motor Accident Commission of South Australia. MAC is a Statutory Authority established under the Motor Accident Commission Act 1992 and is accountable to the State Government and all South Australian road users.

In addition to providing a financially secure, affordable and equitable system of CTP insurance in South Australia, MAC also funds the South Australian road safety mass media campaign and supports road safety programs aimed at reducing deaths and injury on our roads.

For more information visit

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance provides compensation to accident victims where the owner or driver of a registered South Australian vehicle is at fault. It may also cover accident victims where a passenger is at fault.

An independent committee established under Section 129 of the Motor Vehicles Act, advises the Government on how much to charge for CTP Insurance premiums. The Committee determines rates on a fair and reasonable basis and allows for appropriate levels of funding and return so that MAC can continue to pay compensation to claimants.

The common forms of compensation payments are made for:

  • Treatment expenses (refer to ‘What type of treatment expenses can be claimed?’, below);
  • Non-economic loss, including pain and suffering and disfigurement;
  • Loss of earning capacity (past and future) excluding the first week's loss;
  • Loss of dependency;
  • Attendant care;
  • Funeral.

Reductions in compensation may apply in relation to:

  • Seatbelts. A fixed 25% reduction for persons (16 years or older) not wearing a seatbelt as required under the Road Traffic Act.
  • Safety Helmets. Depending on the circumstances of the accident and the injuries you suffer, a fixed 25% reduction for persons (16 years or older) not wearing a safety helmet as required by the Road Traffic Act.
  • Passenger compartments. Depending on the circumstances of the accident and the injuries you suffer, a fixed 25% reduction for persons (16 years or older) travelling as a passenger in or on a motor vehicle with a passenger compartment, but not within the compartment (for example a van or utility).
  • Alcohol and/or Drugs (intoxication).
  • Drivers who have contributed to an accident and were intoxicated. There is a minimum 50% reduction when the Blood Alcohol Certificate (BAC) was 0.15 or more, or where the driver was so much under the influence of alcohol or a drug as to be incapable of exercising effective control of the vehicle. Otherwise, the minimum reduction is 25%.
  • Passengers (16 years and older) who were (or ought to have been) aware they were travelling with an intoxicated driver. There is a fixed 50% reduction when the driver's BAC was 0.15 or more, or when the driver was so much under the influence of alcohol or a drug as to be incapable of exercising effective control of the vehicle. Otherwise, the fixed reduction is 25%.
  • Pedestrians/Cyclists who have contributed to their injuries and were intoxicated. There is a 25% or more reduction.

The above fixed reductions are in addition to any other reductions for contributory negligence.

We may authorise payment for treatment expenses including, but not limited to the following:

  • Medical practitioners;
  • Medications;
  • Ambulance;
  • Hospital;
  • Physiotherapy;
  • Chiropractic;
  • Hydrotherapy;
  • Remedial massage;
  • Gym program.

All providers of medical and allied health services (e.g. physiotherapy, chiropractic, hydrotherapy and massage treatment) must be WorkCover accredited, or your expenses may not be covered. Payment of accounts for these treatments will be made at WorkCover gazetted rates.

The injured person (in the case of someone 16 years or older) is technically responsible for treatment expenses incurred prior to claims being settled. While Allianz has no legal obligation to pay accounts progressively, it does so on behalf of MAC, providing certain conditions are met. It is advisable to enquire about the cost of treatment and eligibility for progressive payments before agreeing to treatment.

Allianz considers making progressive payments on treatment accounts on a case by case basis.

Payment of accounts by Allianz may occur when:

  • An PDF Download 'Injury Claim Form', including the PDF Download 'Prescribed Authority', is completed, and submitted to Allianz;
  • Liability is not in dispute or has been agreed;
  • A medical report confirms the need for treatment, where appropriate;
  • Treatment has been reasonably incurred as a result of the motor vehicle accident;
  • The amount of the account is appropriate.

If there is any doubt, payment will be subject to further investigations or inquiries.

If you are deemed to be more than 25% responsible for an accident where someone was injured and have paid your CTP premium (via your registration), you will be required to pay an excess. This amount is indexed as at 1 January each year. The amount of the excess an insured person may have to pay will depend on the date the accident occurred. The maximum excess can be located at:

You will be also required to fully co-operate with Allianz, which may include completing an Accident Report Form and returning it to Allianz. Penalties of up to $5,000.00 can apply for failing to co-operate with Allianz.

In some circumstances, the CTP compensation paid to the injured person may be recovered from you if, for example you:

  • Drove an unregistered vehicle;
  • Were under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • Were speeding or driving dangerously;
  • Intentionally cause injury;
  • Are guilty of a hit and run offence;
  • Drove a vehicle without the owner’s permission;
  • Don’t hold a current driver’s licence;
  • Drove an unroadworthy or overloaded vehicle.

The money recovered from you may include injury compensation and claims' management costs. This can amount to many thousands of dollars.

An insured person, who may be an owner, driver or passenger and who is deemed to be more than 25% responsible for a motor vehicle accident will need to pay an excess. The maximum excess can be located at:

You could possibly make a claim against the Nominal Defendant. You can contact Allianz on 1300 137 331 if you have any queries.

No, you do not need legal advice, although your option to appoint legal representation remains.

The right to legal representation has not changed but new thresholds are in place for the reimbursement of legal fees. Legal costs through the CTP Scheme are no longer being awarded if the total compensation payment is $25,000 or less. Limitations also apply to claims where the total amount of compensation is between $25,000 and $100,000.

Irrespective of the legal costs that may be recoverable, there will always be a component of any legal fee (usually called solicitor client fees) that is not claimable from the CTP insurer. Therefore, you should ask your solicitor to fully explain their billing practices. Your lawyer should provide you with the following information in writing:

  • Nature of work expected to be undertaken.
  • Method of billing and any additional costs or fees to be incurred.
  • Estimate of expected legal costs (which should be reviewed as your case progresses).
  • Your rights regarding any dispute between you and the lawyer.