Warning: You are using an outdated Browser, Please switch to a more modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

If you’re moving your car interstate to or from NSW, you must make sure your car is registered in your new state or territory of residence. 

From Compulsory Third Party insurance (CTP), to safety checks and registration requirements, completing the transfer process can be complicated. In this article, we cover the most important things to know when transferring your registration to or from NSW.

Moving to NSW

If you’re moving to NSW and are planning to stay longer than 90 days, you’ll need to transfer your car registration. There are a number of requirements you’ll need to meet before your vehicle can be registered in NSW, so it is a good idea to start this process early. Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:

1. Purchase CTP insurance (a greenslip) from a NSW insurance provider

Compulsory Third Party insurance (CTP), also known as a “greenslip”, is a mandatory insurance that provides cover for injuries caused while driving1. In NSW, you must purchase your CTP cover before you can register your car. When you purchase your CTP insurance, make sure it is2:

  • Purchased from a registered NSW CTP insurance provider, such as Allianz
  • Issued for 6 or 12 months
  • Issued without number plate details (for interstate plates only).

If you have existing comprehensive or third party property damage car insurance, you will also need to inform your insurer that you are changing address. You may wish to bundle your comprehensive car insurance with your new CTP insurance provider for ease of administration.

2. Organise a car safety and identity check

Before registration, you will need to have your car inspected at an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station. If your car passes the inspection, you will be given a blueslip report. This inspection must take place no more than 42 days prior to your registration2.

It’s helpful to know that servicing and repairing your car in another state won’t affect your car’s warranty.

3. Register your car

Next, you’ll need to visit a transport and motoring service centre to lodge your application for NSW registration. To transfer your registration, you’ll need the following2.

  • Photo Identification
  • Proof of your registration entitlement e.g. Certificate of Registration, renewal notice or other registration, Motor Dealer Warranty form, Motor Dealer sales contract or proof of purchase
  • A completed Application For Registration Form
  • Your CTP greenslip Insurance policy receipt
  • Your blueslip report (if applicable)
  • Your previous number plates
  • You may also need other documents if you are registering a modified vehicle or a trailer

Transferring your licence plates will happen automatically, as new plates will be provided at the time of registration. If you need to register a change of address for your licence, or transfer your licence, you can also arrange this at a transport and motoring service centre e.g. In NSW it is Service NSW.

Moving away from NSW

When transferring your car registration away from NSW, you will need to follow the process in your new state or territory of residence. This differs throughout Australia, so be sure to check the exact requirements. Here are the most common steps.

Purchase CTP insurance

No matter what state you’re moving to, you’ll still need CTP insurance before you can register your vehicle. Depending on the state, this will be provided by either a private insurer that has been licenced by the state government to issue CTP insurance or by a state-owned insurer.

The process of obtaining CTP insurance differs by state. In some states, such as Queensland, you will be required to purchase CTP insurance from an approved insurer prior to applying for registration. In others, such as SA, you can nominate your CTP insurer and pay for your CTP insurance at the same time as you pay your vehicle registration5. In yet other states, such as VIC, where the choice of CTP insurer is not available, the cost of CTP insurance will simply be included in the cost of your vehicle’s registration. Check the requirements in your new state before you apply for registration.

If you have existing comprehensive or third party property damage car insurance, you will also need to inform your insurer that you are changing address. Alternatively, you can choose to bundle your comprehensive car insurance with your new CTP insurance provider instead.

Vehicle Safety Check

In most states, you will need a vehicle safety check before you can apply for registration. Whether or not a check is required can depend on the details of your vehicle, such as its age, whether it has been modified, and whether it was previously registered in another state4, 5. If you live in NSW, you don’t need a safety check if your vehicle is under 5 years old.

Register in person or online

Once you have everything you need, it’s time to transfer your registration. Along with submitting your transfer in person, many states will also allow you to take care of your registration online. You may receive your new licence plates at the time of registration, or have these sent to your address. In most states, you must also update your licence details within 90 days.

Moving your car interstate can be a complex process, but we can help make CTP insurance simple. Call us on 13 1000 for assistance, or get a NSW CTP insurance quote online.

Please note the information in this article is general in nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider obtaining independent advice before making any decisions based on this article
  1.  Choice, How to Buy a New Car, viewed April 2021, https://www.greenslips.com.au/about-greenslips/what-is-a-greenslip.html

  2. Service NSW, Transfer or Register an Interstate Vehicle, NSW Government, viewed April 2021, https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/transfer-or-register-interstate-vehicle

  3. NSW Fair Trading, Repairs and Maintenance, viewed April 2021, https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/cars-and-other-vehicles/repairs-and-maintenance

  4. Queensland Government, Register Your Vehicle or Motorcycle, viewed April 2021,  

  5. Vic Roads, Sell and Transfer a Registered Vehicle, viewed April 2021, https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/buy-sell-or-transfer-a-vehicle/sell-a-registered-vehicle
This article has been prepared by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (“Allianz”). Information contained in this article is accurate as at 23rd April 2021 and may be subject to change. In some cases information has been provided to us by third parties and while that information is believed to be accurate and reliable, its accuracy is not guaranteed in any way. Any opinions expressed constitute our views at the time of issue and are subject to change. Neither Allianz, nor its employees or directors give any warranty of accuracy or accept responsibility for any loss or liability incurred by you in respect of any error, omission or misrepresentation in this article.

Give us a call, or send us a message. 

Any advice here does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, please consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording and Supplementary PDS (if applicable). Where applicable, the PDS/Policy Wording, Supplementary PDS and Target Market Determination (TMD) for this insurance are available on this website.

Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 is the insurer of any general insurance products offered on this website.

Allianz Australia Life Insurance Limited ABN 27 076 033 782 AFS Licence No. 296559 is the insurer of any life insurance products offered on this website.