Take out a Policy

Who needs a policy?

You must have a WorkCover policy if you employ workers in Victoria and:

    • Your annual remuneration is more than $7,500, or you believe that it will be more than $7,500, or
    • You employ apprentices.


If you are a proprietary limited company, your directors and employees who receive salaries or wages are workers and are covered for WorkSafe insurance purposes. This includes where the company is a trustee.

Sole traders and partnerships

If you are a sole trader/proprietor or a member of a partnership, you are not a worker of your own business. This means that you will not be covered by your WorkSafe insurance policy. You should consider taking out some form of insurance to cover yourself in the event that you cannot work. If you are hired as a worker by someone else, that person may need to take out a policy to cover you.


Each time you hire a contractor, you need to determine whether they are considered to be a 'worker' by WorkSafe. If the person is considered a worker, you effectively become their employer for WorkSafe purposes, and you must include the money you pay them in your total remuneration. A range of guidance material regarding contractors is available at the WorkSafe website

Failure to obtain a WorkCover insurance policy when required can result in severe penalties being imposed. The WorkSafe Insurance Obligations website provides general guidance about whether you need a WorkCover policy.

For further information on the correct insurance please contact your broker, accountant or Allianz on 9234 3285.

Apply for a new policy

All first time employers have 60 days from the commencement of the new business to lodge an application for a WorkCover policy.

To apply with Allianz, please complete the Online WorkCover Registration form.

Alternatively, please print and complete an PDF Download Application for a WorkCover policy and submit to:

Allianz Australia Workers’ Compensation (Victoria) Limited
Mail: GPO Box 80 Melbourne VIC 3001
Fax: 03 9234 3489
Email: contact@allianz.com.au

    As you have a 60 days grace period to lodge a policy, cover notes are no longer necessary. However, if you have not taken out a policy within the grace period, you can complete the online covernote request and submit to Allianz whilst your policy application is being processed.

    If you would like further information please call us on 03 9234 3285 (Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5pm).

    Transfer an existing policy

    We can help you transfer a current policy to Allianz simply and efficiently at no cost to you.
    • we notify the previous Agent
    • we notify WorkSafe
    • we obtain your premium and claims history on the first working day of the month
    To transfer your existing policy, simply complete a PDF Download Request for Change of Authorised Agent form and submit to:

    Allianz Australia Workers’ Compensation (Victoria) Limited
    Mail: GPO Box 80 Melbourne VIC 3001
    Fax: 03 9234 3489
    Email: contact@allianz.com.au

    Please note that employers cannot change agents where more than one premium instalment is outstanding. If a policy has been with an agent for less than a year, the policy cannot transfer until the start of a new financial year. The transfers are actioned on the 1st working day of the month following receipt of the request form.
    Contact us

    Contact us with your workers' compensation enquiries.

    Contact us »